GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: metal tab on final drive isn't readable...

Default metal tab on final drive isn't readable...

any other way to find out if i have lsd or not?

it's a US 93 525i ...gb35382

There are several ways:

1- search this forum (or pretty much any BMW forum for this subject)- not to be a jerk, but it's covered on a regular basis. Basically- jack up the rear of the car, take the parking brake off and make sure the tranny is in neutral. Rotate one of the rear wheels, if the other rear wheel rotates in the same direction, you probably have LSD, if it rotates in the opposite direction, you probably have an open diff. If you have any doubt, you'll have to take the rear cover off and have a look to see if you have the LSD clutch pack or just the regular spider gears (open diff).

2- if the metal tab is still intact, try scraping it with a knife or other sharp object to get some of the crust off it, the numbers are stamped in the steel tag, so they should show up with some scraping. Get a flashlight in there too, they are hard to read.

I would vote for #2 as the easiest.

Bret

spray with lubricant or carb cleaner..wipe off with rag and look at with flashlight.

first characters will signify Limited slip and gear ratio.....so "S 346" or "346". rest of characters were hard to decipher on mine as well. Easiest way to access was back the car on ramps.

You should have a 3.23 with a normal diff and 3.73 lsd manual or 4.10 lsd auto. Another way to find out if you have a lsd is to jack up the car with both rear wheels of the ground and try to spin each wheel into another direction. If the wheels only want to turn together to one side you have a lsd, if it's possible to turn them each in another direction, no lsd.

or call your local BMW dealership and explain to the service writer that you are trying to find out if your BMW has a limited slip diff...give them the VIN you gave us...and hopefully they look it up and tell you.

If they pull the oft quoted "that's privilaged/private info that we can't share...yada, yada, yada..." appeal to them that you aren't looking for the previous owners private information that comes with the history of the car...but just need to know if the car was spec'd with LSD...which is a simple yes or no answer.

Good luck
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL