Some people were curious for a report of the final product in my half-baked idea to have the reviled E34 steering box replaced with a close ratio rack and pinion unit. Well, the conversion is complete and my first impression is: Wow! The dead spot on center with accompanying play and the lack of road feedback as been replaced with tight linear precision trough the range and superb feedback through the steering wheel. (I also specified solid mounting and as little rubber as possible in the steering shaft linkages for maximum feedback).
Where I felt as if the steering was leaving me isolated from the actions of the front tires and weight transfer, now I feel much more involved in the all around driving experience and more confident driving the car in a sporting manner. If anyone has considered it, I would say give it a shot!
The rack itself is one specd for a mid 90s VW gti (about 14.7:1 ratio) and tie rods, and lower steering shaft were fabricated using replaceable tie rod ends and u-joints. If anyone is interested in any more details, let me know. This was done by Rick Haner at HanerHaus in Santa Rosa, Ca.
Colin