GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: problem after changing the oil

Default problem after changing the oil

Hi everyone. I just changed the oil tonight ('93 w/4.0 v8 w/~80k miles). Previously I had used Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic but after talking to a bmw tech he recommended castrol synthetic 5w30 so I thought I'd try it out. After I changed it I took it out to drive for about 10 minutes and the Check Engine light came on for about 2 seconds as I was coming to a stop. Then I took it out again later and it came on again as I was just driving. Both times only for a second or 2 and then went off again. This has never happened before after changing the oil so I'm not sure what to think of it. Any ideas? Is this oil acceptable for the car? It was about 34 degrees tonight btw.

-Adam

Could it just be a coincidence? The BMW dealership in my area also recommends the Castrol blend 5W30

I guess its possible but the check engine light hasnt been on in around 15k miles (when an o2 sensor needed replaced) and then it came on 5 minutes into the first drive after changing the oil. I guess time will tell and if it keeps coming on I'll take it in. Does anyone know if whatever reason it came on is stored and accessible? Or is that only when the check engine light is currently on/stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlic Breath
    Could it just be a coincidence? The BMW dealership in my area also recommends the Castrol blend 5W30

do the stomp test and see what codes it stored, you can get the procedure off brunos site.
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm
    and bookmark it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy