GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Control Arm Install

Default Control Arm Install

I need to replace my driver's side front control arm. The plate under the ball joint is starting to show some seperation when up on the lift. How easy is this job? Any tips or writeups.

I just searched the subject and didn't come up with any posts.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

It's quite similar to doing the thrust arms except that you definitely have to remove the 3 19mm bolts that hold the steering arm/knuckle to the base of the strut housing to get at the ball joint end- use a pry bar to separate the steering arm from the strut housing. I would recommend a 6 sided socket and breaker bar to get them off - you need to turn the steering wheel to get access to all 3. I used a pickle fork to get the ball joint off and the biggest problem I had was not using a big enough hammer to whack it with - 4lb minimum. The bushing end is probably easier to access than the thrust arm one just remember to use a new self locking nut and tighten under load on ramps. I used new 19mm & bushing through bolts from the stealer on mine cos the old ones were really rusted- also use nutlock/ locktite on the 3 steering arm bolts.Finally I would recommend doing both sides .

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Finally I would recommend doing both sides .
    Ditto.

Doing only one side is a bad idea. You do not want your suspension/steering linkage to be better on one side only - that's like changing only driver's side shock absorber. Anyway, control arms are not that expensive.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

that plate SHOULD NOT be seperating! Get a 19mm 6 point and torque the 3 bolts back up, even as a temporary measure the 3 bolts should be tight!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Ditto.

Doing only one side is a bad idea. You do not want your suspension/steering linkage to be better on one side only - that's like changing only driver's side shock absorber. Anyway, control arms are not that expensive.
    My main thought here was if they weren't that hard to replace, I'd buy both and be able to install them. If it had to be done by the menchanic I could only afford to do one this month. Money's a little tight right now as I'm getting ready to move into a new apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    that plate SHOULD NOT be seperating! Get a 19mm 6 point and torque the 3 bolts back up, even as a temporary measure the 3 bolts should be tight!
    Thanks Jeff, I'll give that a shot.