GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken 4" Water pump Bolt...help!

Default Broken 4" Water pump Bolt...help!

I have a 1994 540I. While removing the water pump I broke one of the long upper bolts in the left side of the water pump. Approximately 1/2 inch of the threaded end of the bolt is in the engine block. What should I do? I tried to
    remove it with an easy out drill bit but it's not long enough to reach the stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Dway540
    I have a 1994 540I. While removing the water pump I broke one of the long upper bolts in the left side of the water pump. Approximately 1/2 inch of the threaded end of the bolt is in the engine block. What should I do? I tried to
    remove it with an easy out drill bit but it's not long enough to reach the stud.
    Check the following link for some good tips:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.cfm

1/2" should be enough space for an easy out, if not you may want to check for a different sized easy out.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Thanks Rory! I really appreciate the info.

Default I have the same problem

I tried for months to remove the broken piece without any success. With careful application of the "uprated" gasket from the dealer (not the paper one that comes with the pump) and careful torquing of the other bolts, it has held just fine for over a year now. Just so you know in case....
    Dan Rice
    D. Rice
    Redmond Washiington
    1995 530i

Thanks D Rice! I will try that if I can not remove the broken piece.

I could not remove the broken bolt so I replaced water pump gasket and reinstalled the water pump. The water pump is leaking. What should I do now?

whats the story about removing the broken part? Is it accessable? I think your going to have go back in doctor.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You have to soak that broken bolt with WD40 to break the corrosion that made it break... then you use easy out if there is no stub to grab. Otherwise you have to heat up the bolt and area with heat to get it out.

The broken bolt is approximately 3 1/2" deep in the engine block. The easy out drill bit was approximately 3 1/2" long. I welded the easy out bit and made it longer but I could not remove the broken bolt. I drilled the broken bolt down so I could cut some new threads in with a tap. When I started cutting the new threads in with the tap.The tap broke and I cannot get it out. So now I have a broken bolt and a broken tap stuck down in the the block. The tap broke off approximately one inch deep from the opening. Approximately 2 1/2" of the tap is stuck down in the block. Can I leave the bloken bolt and the tap down in block and seal them in and cut some new threads in and use a shorter bolt to connect the water pump?

Whoa! That's even worse... Waterpump will never seal without that bolt as you know... Have you tried easy out on the tap? Tap is such a hard metal. Last resort is to use heli-coil for the size of the opening and use the right short bolt to go with the heli-coil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast