GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can a windshield be transported overseas?

Default can a windshield be transported overseas?

without danger to break? I have never seen it packed for transportation. They are asking here for a windshield abt. $ 800-900 at BMW.
    One of my friend has the windshield cracked on his E32 735 and we want to import the glass. But most of the companies I have asked so far (Germany) insist on pick up.
    Anyone knows an online supplier in the U.S. or Australia which would be willing to ship overseas?
    Of course, risk to be on our side. But no risk, no joy. In Germany they are selling them for less than $ 200 at the moment.

As a UPS employee, I wouldn't suggest it. lol Unless of course you get insurance for it.

Default Shipping screens...

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Anyone knows an online supplier in the U.S. or Australia which would be willing to ship overseas?
    Of course, risk to be on our side. But no risk, no joy. In Germany they are selling them for less than $ 200 at the moment.
    Hi Erich, I used to design crates for the major Australian Manufacturers. We made steel and aluminium frames that held the glass upright so fork-lifting didn't damage it. These manufacturers had breakage rates (road freight), from factory warehouse to store (Australia wide) of 3-4% because fragile stickers are never acted upon and they weren't always packed right.

The way to do it would be to sell aout 10 screens to someone, then make a wooden crate for 11 and ship yours too. That would take up 2 pallet spaces but not weigh much. The crate would be fork-liftable, marked this way up only so damage becomes less likely- however packing needs to use the correct dunnage for the screens and must be done properly.

I know the manufacturers here in Aus and could get pricing on the screens you want so long as it was a bulk quantity. 1 or 2 off is kinda hard (but not impossible) they also make side glass, etc. Problem is shipping small quantities is not possible. Aussie glass is slightly softer than euro- better resistance to stones but they scratch from abrasion more easily. They all have the tinted upper sun-strip of course.

Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks Nick,

at the moment only one required. And to buy a lot of 10 is probably not so interesting. If a windshield glass breaks, the owner wants to have it repaired immy.
    But I will ask a member of the E32 club here, if he is interested to import the glass. He has a online shop for BMW parts.

Thanks Nick, at the moment only one required. And to buy a lot of 10 is probably not so interesting. If a windshield glass breaks, the owner wants to have it repaired immy. But I will ask a member of the E32 club here, if he is interested to import the glass. He has a online shop for BMW parts.
    Oh, when I say small quantities is not possible, I mean it is just not feasible- a wooden crate and dunnage might cost $500 and could be many times (but not I imagine in your case). I guess the only thing I can do is ensure you get wholesale in AU dollars and make sure it gets shipped. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Maybe I found one in Germany for 145 EURO.
    The prob is now to get it over to Japan.
    So a friend is checking the possibility now. That price is really good. Incl. the heated area for the wiper parking area.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?..._BIN_Stores_IT
    For E34 they offer them for EURO 99.99 ex stock

For example by German postal services I could get a 10 kg parcel for 52 EURO to Japan in 10-14 days as cheapest. If that is possible for glass/breakables.
    Also got my Behr radiator this way from Germany.

you don't have a good one in any of your parts cars? we have had a pretty good success rate hiring a glass company to cut them out at our salvage yard, some guys use a hot wire but the most common is a modified sawzall that only has about a quarter inch stroke, $40-50 is usually what they charge to cut one out

Maybe I found one in Germany for 145 EURO.
    The prob is now to get it over to Japan.
    So a friend is checking the possibility now. That price is really good. Incl. the heated area for the wiper parking area.
    For E34 they offer them for EURO 99.99 ex stock

For example by German postal services I could get a 10 kg parcel for 52 EURO to Japan in 10-14 days as cheapest. If that is possible for glass/breakables.
    Also got my Behr radiator this way from Germany.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred, I extra bought this special removal tool for the windscreen. Used it on one of the parts cars, and 1 wrong move and it was destroyed. Do not want to remove the screens from the other cars now before winter starts. Could make more damages to interior parts as I have them parked outside w/o cover.
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...eplacement.htm

the pull handle with a L shaped blade shown is a joke for dealing with the urethane caulk that holds these windshields in, it'll do the glass on stuff like old volvos use that gummy black goo, the wire style will do it but you really need something like a real glass installer uses, id call a glass shop and get a quote on pulling one, you still have to pay if he breaks it but he is better equiped to get one out, we have had a couple dozen pulled with no breaks yet over the years
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

without danger to break? I have never seen it packed for transportation. They are asking here for a windshield abt. $ 800-900 at BMW.
    One of my friend has the windshield cracked on his E32 735 and we want to import the glass. But most of the companies I have asked so far (Germany) insist on pick up.
    Of course, risk to be on our side. But no risk, no joy. In Germany they are selling them for less than $200 at the moment.
    I remember that write-up, its very good Sean's stuff. It is a bit of a break your heart story that one.

BTW, FYI: Prices in Australia for 1 off (not a crate load)

e32 $250
    e34 $205

A nice wooden crate for one would cost at least $300 plus shipping- I'd expect its weight to be around 50kg though. Problem is if you make it for one and they end up flat or falling over it **WILL** break, so it really needs to be rectangular and as deep as it is high or wide.

Also, they have to be fork-lifted vertically when freighted as I said before. If they lie down flat inside the box (or the box is tipped) the screens will break under their own weight. Any pressure point in the packing will cause a crack.

In my experience that means the box has to be too big to move any other way (they will otherwise) so you might as well buy 11 off to amortise the freight cost and be assured the risk is managable.

Truly Erich, I'd avoid the risk. Its a lot to loose and a long way to travel! Even if the box was painted RED and yellow and had flashing fragile lights on top!!!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast