GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: UUC ssk installed

Default UUC ssk installed

Just got done installing my UUC euro 3 SSK in the e34 535i. Only took a couple of hours. The directions say it comes in the long position. To lower it you loosen the nut on the bottom two turn to lower it. I tried this and it did not work. Any one else have any tips here?
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

i had it installed by a dealer and as far as i know
    the 535i doesnt have the adjustable one...
    only the newer cars like e36 and such have the
    adjustable ones...

i love mine...give it like 50 miles to break in =]

Quote Originally Posted by Ted K
    Just got done installing my UUC euro 3 SSK in the e34 535i. Only took a couple of hours. The directions say it comes in the long position. To lower it you loosen the nut on the bottom two turn to lower it. I tried this and it did not work. Any one else have any tips here?
    Ted,

I have a version II UUC shifter and love it. Been a few years since I installed it or adjusted it. But I think mine came in the tallest setting. Simply loosen the bolt at the bottom of the shift rod and grab the top and pull it up or push it down. It should go up or down with light pressure. If it is not going down then you are probably at the bottom. When you get to the appropriate level simply tighten the bolt and button up the knob. It is very simple to do.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Quote Originally Posted by Rory
    Ted,

I have a version II UUC shifter and love it. Been a few years since I installed it or adjusted it. But I think mine came in the tallest setting. Simply loosen the bolt at the bottom of the shift rod and grab the top and pull it up or push it down. It should go up or down with light pressure. If it is not going down then you are probably at the bottom. When you get to the appropriate level simply tighten the bolt and button up the knob. It is very simple to do.

Good Luck,
    Rory
    This is just what I tried. This is also what the instructions said to do. But no movement it any direction. I love the way it feels now. Would like it about 1/4 shorter.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

Not to hijack your thread, but I had a question about the UUC SSK..
    Given mine has 130k miles of slop in it, and most of the bushings, etc. need to be replaced, if I were to go with the UUC SSK, would there be anything in the shifting mechanism that affects feel and precision that would not be replaced/improved upon by the UUC? i.e. is there anything else I could do in that department if I get the UUC. I'm thinking tranny mounts would be about it, but from what I understand, everything that's part of the shifter is good to go. yes?
    1990 535i - 5 spd - Red on black - LSD
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted K
    This is just what I tried. This is also what the instructions said to do. But no movement it any direction. I love the way it feels now. Would like it about 1/4 shorter.
    Ted,

If it is not working as described, I recommend contacting Rob/UUC for some help. They are a first class operation and I would expect that they will help fix the problem or make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by rreimund
    Not to hijack your thread, but I had a question about the UUC SSK..
    Given mine has 130k miles of slop in it, and most of the bushings, etc. need to be replaced, if I were to go with the UUC SSK, would there be anything in the shifting mechanism that affects feel and precision that would not be replaced/improved upon by the UUC? i.e. is there anything else I could do in that department if I get the UUC. I'm thinking tranny mounts would be about it, but from what I understand, everything that's part of the shifter is good to go. yes?
    If your tranny mounts are worn then replacing them will help a little in shifting feel, but mostly in ease of engagement with the lever. Check out UUC's site for some info: http://www.shortshifter.com/desc_parts2.htm

I installed Delrin bushings when I did it and it was worth the money IMHO. The kit will include all wear items that should be replaced. Simply put, UUC shifters in the E34 are like a hot knife through butter. Silky smooth and exactly how the car should have come from the factory. By far the best mod I have done for my/any car. Of course, YMMV.

Don't you just hate TLA's !
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com