GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Doors Are Rusting Again ! Anyone got a good fix ?

Default well...

the 80 hour prep and paint looked autorama for almost 60 days before pits started showing their ugly heads and a power washer peeled the seemingly awesome paint job into the driveway. Lesson learned: do not wash old car.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I've heard of those products as well... but I'm not gonna claim I'm some great car mechanic or body shop worker... I know how these things are supposed to be used... but, uhm... I don't exactly wanna learn how on my bimmer. :P (ya, I'm too chicken to try)

That's why I was asking on Ziebart's "classic car" treatment, and if anyone here has ever tried it. They apply some rust converter as well, prior to painting. I guess if no one has tried them, I'll give them a try..it's a small spot anyway, in an unseen part of the car (behind the trunk carpet, sidewall) ... Inspection II didn't show any sign of it...and I wouldn't even have seen it, had I not tried to access the amp of my stereo, and check on the jack.

I know POR 15 comes with the acid treatment, which you are supposed to do before you brush the goods on. I have heard good stuff about that treatment, but once again the secret is in the prep.

I know BMW didn't use an adhesive in the original moldings, I do have some 3M black urethane windshield adhesive I can use in there after everything is done.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I traded some e-mails with Sean in Europe who has been around many a rusted door. Sean has looked at a lot of E-32 and E-34 doors insides as well. He reports virtually no rust on the interior of the doors...a good thing...so concensus is these doors rust outside-in due to water/salt trapped by the bottom door moldings...and Sean has seen a lot of rust on inboard exterior bottoms as I have. I have had this condition on my E-32 and had it repaired as well. Bottom line is this...you can try all the rust inhibitors you want....but best result is pretty straight forward. Always remove cancered metal, refill it with weld, or filler and repaint...the best recipe for longevity.
    George

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12