GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i rebuild (could be out of my depth???)

Default 535i rebuild (could be out of my depth???)

this is now my second beemer and wont look back. the last one i built/rebuilt i did all the work myself this one i have picked up where the last lad left off, can anyone advise me on the valve to piston timing ??????? . sorry should have put down b4 it is a 91 535i sport auto if it helps it is originally from ireland . again.
    Last edited by toby535i; 11-18-2005 at 05:20 PM. Reason: i didnt put the year model etc.

Maybe you could help us out by giving a little info on what state the car is in now.

Are you only rebuilding the engine?

I suggest you get a Bentley E34 manual if you are going to take on this rebuild.
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

For rebuilds Haynes is actually a lot better. The bottom end has a TDC marker on the front vibration damper, it is supposed to align with the notch. As far as the top goes, I believe there is a special tool for this. ON m50s there is a method of doign this via a ruler, works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by toby535i
    this is now my second beemer and wont look back. the last one i built/rebuilt i did all the work myself this one i have picked up where the last lad left off, can anyone advise me on the valve to piston timing ??????? . sorry should have put down b4 it is a 91 535i sport auto if it helps it is originally from ireland . again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    For rebuilds Haynes is actually a lot better. The bottom end has a TDC marker on the front vibration damper, it is supposed to align with the notch. As far as the top goes, I believe there is a special tool for this. ON m50s there is a method of doign this via a ruler, works well.
    Haynes better???

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    I can't vouch for the Haynes but considering all the accolades for the Bentley it certainly only covers most things in a cursory fashion. But then how much would a factory manual cost if you could get one?.... $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.