GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Project ///Monster, Part 2: The Beast bites back

Default Project ///Monster, Part 2: The Beast bites back

Click here for Part 1 of Project ///Monster

Well. Today was a REAL good start. Up @ 9 am only to find that Jason couldn't get his VW to start which means Alan S. had to pick him up, we got a late start on the day. But, all did not fail... though... most did.... sort of... kind of.

We left off with only the intake manifold, the throttle bodies, the valve cover, the cam retainers, the hood, the wheels, and some of the hoses off. Little did we know we had MUCH more ahead of us. We expected to get the motor on the stand by 9pm. Starting at noon, we had many obstacles to over come. Like too little cheese to go around for all our hamburgers and such. As we worked on the motor, it became more and more apparent what we SHOULD remove versus what we "had" to remove. Technically, we could lift the engine about 3 inches and call it a day. However, after inspecting much of Jason's suspension and hose/line/connectors, we realized that it would be in the vehicles best interest if we went a few steps further than absolutely necessary. So here is how it went down on day 2:

I drove to jasons, taking a detour and checking out the Porsche indy. Nice slant nose. Then we gathered in the driveway, 2 E34s (that work) and a 944 turbo (works also). The beast was probably a little intimidated, though we comforted it, telling that it had more displacement and better design... but... the beast was still a little irritated so we decided to park the cars inconspicuously behind each other, maybe this will relax the ///M5.

This is how we had left the car the day before:
    It was clearly not in the shape we had expected because we were planning on having the motor out by tonight @ 9m. Eh.

We did however remove the bumper and bottom apron and slowly managed to remove the radiator (without removing the fan might i add!).

Under hear, we can see up the ///Monsters skirt. Looks a little we.... err... yeah there is a lot of fluid from up north of the motor. With the radiator pulled, the power steering hoses and about 60 bajillion other rubber tubes containing milkshake-like fluid, it's no surprise that it looks like this. The garage floor was a great place for a slip and slide party... if we wanted. Any who, I noticed that the transmissions output was a bit dark. Upon closer inspection it seams as though we may need to replace the output seal, which again, is only for the engines best interest.

After some delicious burgers we realized that we'd need to bring the engine hoist and stand inside because of the weather comign on. We put the wheels BACK on the car to roll it backwards, moved the hoist and such inside, took the wheels BACK off the car and on stands just to realize that we'd need to remove stuff from the garage before we could start to put the car up permantly... I think we put the wheels on and off about 5 times today.

Once out, we cleaned up for those burgers and Dave took the time to clean up the workspace some. This, although often overlooked, is a very key part to a successfu.... what the f*ck am I talking about we've got no clue what we're doing but we're having a great time. (Kidding, we have some direction)

We were originally going to just disconnect the A/C lines but Nick's step-dad brought it to our attention that it is both illegal and expensive to bleed the A/C system and rather than do so, we took off the condenser and Jason fixed it to the frame so that we were free to pull the motor. Although I've typically used wire to fix calipers and such to the car... Jason brought out his creativity with a...belt...or a string... or.... whatever the hell that blue thing is wrapped around the bumper shock... I was really impressed.

I worked on the drivers side removing the caliper, control arm, sway bar links and strut (but having trouble with the tie-rod). I showed Nick real quickly what needed to be done so that he could mirror my work on the passenger side. We had to use a 3' pipe as a breaker bar because Jason's caliper bolts and strut bolts were fused in rust to his car. Meanwhile, Nick was using the breaker bar and was making a real great effort with sound effects included. We were all sure that he could break the bolts free. Until he bent our forged steel breaker bar... you see... he mixed up tighten and loosen, and the torque on a 3' bar... well... you get the idea.

There still existed one major problem holding us back. The exhaust. Because Jason's car was purchased with a B&B Triflo exhaust system, someone had taken it to a muffler shop to be fitted. Upon removal we realized that the installer must have used some Russian-Spec bolts because they were neither 12 or 13mm nor any STD size. My theory is that they are 12mm on one half of the hex nut and 13mm on the other... pure Russian stylee... but it's unfounded. Regardless, my constant exclamation of "Let's cut it off!" finally came through!! We finally used the much feared torch!

We were going to show the Beast that no matter how much **** it gives us, we're going to fux0r and pwn it! I was VERY glad to take this next picture because we were all under high morale as Jason sparked the torch.

Circled is the troubl bolt. It was the one on the top furtherest (to passenger door) bolt because of limited leverage. We cut the other 2 or 3 off with a grinder. This bolt was in a location such that we could not reach it with a sawz all, rotary grinder, or drill with grinder attachment. I knew we should have invested in a plasma cutter. No one believed me.

These next few pictures are off pure genious approach. We really showed the ///M5 what was going on!

We got the bolt off! Now our exhaust is free! We are just waiting to remove the suspension and transmission before we do the dirty deed. That being the removal of the engine. We're all very very anxious. In celebration, we all gathered around the car and had ourselves a milkshake!! *insert milkshake song*

Also: We found this piece on the garage floor. We have been really strict with labeling our pars and putting them in a bag, which is why we were surprised to have found this thing on the floor. If anyone can identify it (i think its related to a pulley, like the front side of a pulley, ie. cap) we would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Input/questions/otherwise stupid remarks are of course welcome. And just as a waiver, don't use torches on your car, we are clearly not professionals and clearly cannot afford a lawsuit so do as you wish but at your own risk. I will be updating again tomorrow!

PS: I've uploaded a video of us cutting up the exhaust with the torch and chisel. Please right-click and "Save As" so as to try and keep the bandwidth down for multiple viewings. Thanks.

Movie available here

- Jon
    Last edited by Jon K; 03-07-2004 at 12:39 PM.

What kind of wheels are those on the car in the garage you are working on that are black and have the silver lip?

Those are the Throwing Stars....without the Throwing Star Cover. The have the same base as the Turbine Wheels. I believe its called the M-Tech II style? correct me if i'm wrong...

uhh... this is all an effort to replace the valve cover gaskets?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    uhh... this is all an effort to replace the valve cover gaskets?

Uhh.. don't you see the nice caramel colored gunk in the engine? This is all effort to replace a blown headgasket.

kewl pics, thanks for sharing.

And I'm not sure what part you're talking about trying to identify, don't see the pic I guess.

I see the pic now, don't know what it is though. Maybe it was already in the garage!!!! hehe

Good luck with your project, be safe.

seems extreme but looks like a lot of fun!!

J/K I'd be weary of yanking the whole thing for a head gasket unless you plan on rebuilding the lower end, ie: bearings etc...

Great write up so far !!!!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    seems extreme but looks like a lot of fun!!

J/K I'd be weary of yanking the whole thing for a head gasket unless you plan on rebuilding the lower end, ie: bearings etc...

Great write up so far !!!!
    It's almost inevitable to pull the engine. It's hand built outside of the car and dropped in, the cam rear cover is extremely difficult to remove, but probably exponentially difficult to put back, while in the car.

That thing in your hand looks for all the world like the anti-drainback valve from inside the oil filter cannister. Does the inside of the cannister look like this?

Keep up the documentation guys, you're doing great.

Cheers,
    Anthony