GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OBC permanent removal

Default OBC permanent removal

I am thinking of removing the OBC on my car to fit a wideband O2 display. Tech edge makes a rectangular display for their wideband that is the same size as the OBC. I don't use the OBC on my car and would not miss it. I was wondering if there would be any problems elsewhere, such as the readout on the instrument cluster etc, if I ditched the OBC?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by beetos
    I am thinking of removing the OBC on my car to fit a wideband O2 display. Tech edge makes a rectangular display for their wideband that is the same size as the OBC. I don't use the OBC on my car and would not miss it. I was wondering if there would be any problems elsewhere, such as the readout on the instrument cluster etc, if I ditched the OBC?
    You won't have ice warnings and won't be able to browse thru display via the BC button on the stalk, but other than that, you should be fine. All other warnings are integrated in the LKM or the cluster itself.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Default Think there will be something to be done with the ...

anti-theft device from OBC. Guess that if you simply remove it, engine will not start. May be some one else had any experience with that.

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    anti-theft device from OBC. Guess that if you simply remove it, engine will not start. May be some one else had any experience with that.
    Umm, I don't have an anti-theft device (aux horn and aux horn relay) but code locking still works. No sound, though. If I code lock the OBC and remove it, the car starts fine.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Default That clarifies it. I was referring to code locking, ...

that actually, alarm via sound after three failed attempts to unlock or start.

What you experienced (I mean removing OBC releases the start) means that the code locking system is a piece of sh.... Never though so.

I religiously activate and deactivate it every time I stop and start the engine.

Javier

Edit: The system also triggers the alarm when you attempt to open the hood.

What you experienced (I mean removing OBC releases the start) means that the code locking system is a piece of sh.... Never though so.
    Well, maybe it is a piece of ****, but at least it's junkie-proof Who else would try to steal a 15 year old car?

I religiously activate and deactivate it every time I stop and start the engine.
    LOL, dude! That's a bit too much work for me

The system also triggers the alarm when you attempt to open the hood.
    I don't have that either since I retrofitted the OBC and decided that aux horn and hood alarm are two things I'll never need/use.

How do you find out what your code is if bought the car used?? Didn't know about code locking...need to read the owners manual.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

Default You set the code you want to use , ...

then you enter it back to start.

The procedure is:

After you turn off engine, and before turning the key to its removal position (keep it in 1st position, Accy.), you press code, then with the four top keys, you select the 4 digit code of your preference (repeatedly pushing a key will increase the digit in that position by one), then you press S/R, then you remove the key.

It will light a red led at code button remembering you that start protection is activated.

When you come back to start the car and turn key to run position, OBC will display three dashes inviting you to enter back the code. Push the four top keys again in the same fashion, to display the same code you entered when locking, and then push S/R, this will release the system.

Javier