GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: engine cover project

Default engine cover project

Hi bimmers ... I saw the thread with this picture

and I'm doing my own now, I already brushed the surface and it's ready for the paint. but I don't know the name of a suitable paint that can resist the heat and oil. they told me that I should use thermal paint. I also want it mat not gloss. all the ppl I asked told me that even the thermal paint will peal off with the heat. anyone knows exactly what to use??

Quote Originally Posted by grave77

and I'm doing my own now, I already brushed the surface and it's ready for the paint. but I don't know the name of a suitable paint that can resist the heat and oil. they told me that I should use thermal paint. I also want it mat not gloss. all the ppl I asked told me that even the thermal paint will peal off with the heat. anyone knows exactly what to use??
    The best ones are powder coated.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default You can use just about any automotive paint that you want, the valve cover doesn't

get that hot, krylon flat black will work fine. Or if you want a tougher finish a wrinkle black will work well too.. Powder coat is the toughest finish but also you'll spend a good bit more for it. The only area that you need high heat paint is on the exhaust manifold, any engine paint will work fine for the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by grave77

well I found a spray that are used for stoves and heaters .. I think that would do ... its also matt. I bought heatresistive primer so I think that would do. I will provide pics when done

I don't think I would find that easily ... some ppl offered me chrome coating ... but I like it black.

A couple of thoughts - some of the matte finishes will show any bit of grease or oil and they are difficult to clean. The same with wrinkle paint. Many years ago I did a wrinkle paint valve cover which looked great for a month or so then progressivly got worse as random drops of oil got into the wrinkles. I never could get it really clean and I finally repainted with a glossy engine enamel. I used just regular enamel, as Bill R. said there's no need for high temp paint. Good luck.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

I have expereinced this with an old car i had ( Honda Accord Racing ) it had a black cover in. I used to spray it with video head cleaners then wipe quickly ... lets see ... I can do a repaint if failed ... I have 2 covers thanks anyway mate ...

Default project done - Pictures Before

Sorry for the low quality ... pics taken with a mobile cam. I lent my digicam to my sister. here they are anyway, the pics shows the before and after.

Thanks for your support

Default Pics After :)

nice work barry!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast