GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New member introduction and transmission question

Default New member introduction and transmission question

Hi everyone! Great place you have here. I recently picked up a 94 525i with the M50TU, black on black, manual trans, 70k right now. I love the car and have put about 3000 miles on it in the last month. However, I have lots of issues/questions about the transmission.

Problem #1 is a low frequency/pitch whine that is very noticable from the transmission in all gears except 5th. The whine is there whenever any gas is applied. I think I can rule out input shaft or anything related because the noise is not there in 5th. Now my guess is that the previous owner chipped a tooth on a gear or something because 1. It only happens when there is load on the gears, not when coasting, so this is when the gears would be meshing with force. 2. It's not present in 5th, and 5th is direct drive so maybe it's not spinning all the gear-sets and that's why there is no noise. Oh and I have changed the fluid to Redline D4 with no change in noise.

Problem #2 is that the REVs don't die between shifts as fast as they should. For example it takes about 4 second for the revs to drop as much as the need to for a smooth 1-2 upshift. It's kinda like I don't have my foot all the way off the gas, but I do. This makes for very slow or very jerky shifting and it really kills the fun of the car. I was once told by an independant repair shop that this is programmed in at the factory for easier rev-matching for downshifting for people who don't know how. Is this true and can it be re-programmed?

My next question is that is needs a cluch, probably largely because of problem #2 :-P So can I put in a 95 M3 clutch and flywheel? I hear this is possible because if the similarity between the M50 and S50 transmissions.

Last question, If I were to just get a new transmission, what models have the same transmission? e36 325 and 95 M3? Thanks!!
    Mike
    Last edited by Alpinerunner; 11-14-2005 at 11:41 PM.

dont you use the clutch between gears??
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinerunner
    Problem #2 is that the REVs don't die between shifts as fast as they should. For example it takes about 4 second for the revs to drop as much as the need to for a smooth 1-2 upshift. It's kinda like I don't have my foot all the way off the gas, but I do. This makes for very slow or very jerky shifting and it really kills the fun of the car. I was once told by an independant repair shop that this is programmed in at the factory for easier rev-matching for downshifting for people who don't know how. Is this true and can it be re-programmed?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy