GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver's POWER SEAT, Mirrors, Telescop. Wheel QUIT

Default Driver's POWER SEAT, Mirrors, Telescop. Wheel QUIT

I've searched around on bimmer.info a few times now, but I can't figure out my problem ('94 540i):

The power seat (all functions) has been erratic for a while now... sometimes I'd have to wiggle the toggles a few times to get the seat to move. Yesterday after I had reclined the seat back all the way back (uh oh) to take a siesta, it did NOT come back up. It started coming back up for a couple seconds VERY slowly, then --- silence.

So now I'm the ghost car driving around town ghetto-style with the seat reclined back. Not only has the seat quit working, but also the telescoping steering wheel and the power mirrors. I do have MEMORY seats... could this be related? Is the seat "switch" (my memory module?) the problem here? Or is there one motor that powers the seats, wheel, and mirrors that has possibly quit?

Thanks to all for help... It's kinda hard to get around in a car like this

Fuse, under the passenger seat by the battery. I had the same problem, and couldn't find a thing about it here or on bimmerforums. Driver's seat, mirrors, and wheel are all on the same circuit due to the memory function. Pull up on the leading edge on both sides of the back seat to pop it up, pull HARD, don't worry, you won't break it.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

onewhippedpuppy- thanks for the prompt response and direction to looking at fuses under the rear seat... however I've now checked all fuses that might have something to do with power seats, mirror, steering, etc and they're all good (including fuses under the hood). I did not find any fuse with "memory" in the name, but i guess that's normal.

Anyone know what to do now? Power seats, mirrors, and telescoping steering wheel still not working... -.-

Default Power to the driving motors come from F42 under ...

rear seat, F16 and F18 also have to do with memory seats.

Per your description, it is a slow developing fault, so I wouldn't look for a blown fuse, but an overheated connection, either in the fuse socket or in the seat memory module connector (under driver's seat).

Javier

think the fuse whipped pup is refering to is the one that connects to positive side of battery......red 10 Ga? wire that's attached to positive terminal end....has inline fuse holder couple inches from battery....powers accessories. Inline fuse holder has small BMW logo on it..think it's black if memory serves.

Default Hate to be the bearer of bads news.....

a friend's 1994 E34 M5 euro with memory quit on him just like that. we chased it for a long time, swapping out all fuses, seat switches, memory module, etc etc. he finally brought it to a dealer tech who knows these things very well and does not screw people and they traced it to a faulty memory module and the module has to be computer coded to the vehicle which explains why the one we tried didn't work. it was $600

That's how mine blows too, slow then pop. Seems like it doesn't like it when I adjust my headrest. The answer, don't adjust the headrest. The fuse that blows on mine is a 30A blade fuse, located in the fuse block under the back seat near the battery. Other culprits that I have read about are the bad memory module as Scott said, bad motors, or just dirty/ loose connections under the seat. Also, if it turns out to be the module, I saw on another thread someone mentioning having theirs re-built, worth looking into if that's the problem. Last time mine blew my wife had been driving, and I didn't have any spare fuses. I ended up driving with my seat up in the air and damn near in the steering wheel, if I had been in an accident the airbag probably would have blown right through my chest.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

ok... thanks for the help guys BUT, problem not solved yet. Callen, I hadn't checked that inline fuse from the positive terminal, but I have now... little dirty, but still connected.

Yes, Scott H, your post concerns me most ($$!). I pulled out a 7x4x1" black box that everything connects to under the seat... is this the memory module your talking about? It looks like a computer inside, but I have no way of knowing if its functioning correctly. I do have a question about your friends car: were his power seats also acting erraticly for a while (working kinda-sorta) before they quit? That has been my case, which leads me to believe it's a wiring issue.

So I'm getting around now with two pillows propping me up... ah well, better then too close to the steering wheel I suppose. Is a trip to the dealer probably my next step?

Default No his seats were working just fine and then.....

BAM his cousin was moving the seats checking out the car and they stopped working. The memory module is under the driver's seat. I never got the full diagnosis of the problem with his memory module. I hear that sometimes the red memory button on the switch get's partially stuck and freezes the seats. It is possible that the memory switch is a culprit as well.

As far as electrical goes, your best bet is to find an independent or dealer tech in your area who knows electrical well. The dealer will have tools to check things as well. Fortunately, here in Chicagoland there is a tech at a dealer who is popular among the BMWCCA arena, so not only do we have a resource that knows electrical systems well, but he has access to the best tools for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    Yes, Scott H, your post concerns me most ($$!). I pulled out a 7x4x1" black box that everything connects to under the seat... is this the memory module your talking about? It looks like a computer inside, but I have no way of knowing if its functioning correctly. I do have a question about your friends car: were his power seats also acting erraticly for a while (working kinda-sorta) before they quit? That has been my case, which leads me to believe it's a wiring issue.

Is a trip to the dealer probably my next step?

Scott- would you be able to give me location/name/number of this dealer? I too live in Chicagoland :-) thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast