GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: buttons and switches

Default buttons and switches

hi im new to the forum and need to ask a few questions. Im contemplating buying a 1989 525i with 120000km on it. 4 speed automatic, with moonroof.
    Many of the switches are not working on the dash and seats. I dont know what any of them are supposed to do, due to the lack of a proper owners manual, and information on the web.
    There is an s, e, and m switch which controls the shift modes of the transmission. but when i push e, and then let go, it returns to s mode. same thing when I press back to m and release, it also switches back to s mode. there is also next to it a little rocker switch with e&k, or s&k, i cant remember now but i dont know what that controls. Many of the light controls have interesting little logos on them, which i am unable to decipher.
    Is there a place online where I can find out the functions of all of the switches in the interiorf this car? It would help me to know which are the most important to reconect first.
    thanks
    Ted

s=sports, e=economy, m=manual.
    Usuallyit is in e=economy. If you switch to s when engine is running, in the dashboard on the check control the e will change to s. same is with m. but the switch itself is always going back to e which is in the center. When you want to switch from s to e: push the switch downwards and e will come in the dashboatd.
    When you switch off the engine, and then start the engine again, automatically the gear switchtes to e, which is the default position.
    Did you see the gear and mode indication on the cluster at the lower check control? If not, your car will have transmission probs. But that should be easy to solve by replacing or cleaning the selector switch below the center console next to the shift handle.

The switch S and K: that is for the EDC system. Electronic dampening system. S stands for sports, and K for the German word Komfort =comfort.

There is a online owners manual here. Just use the seArch on top and type in owners manual and you can download it. Study it carefully, a lot of gimmicks and there are people which own the car for years already and they still find evert day a new feature.

One final word to EDC: EDC shocks are very, very expensive, they can cost more than the whole car is worth now.
    Therefore check them. But you can eliminate the EDC system and install normal or sports shocks and springs.
    But it would surprise me a bit that a 1989 525 would have EDC.

Shogun,
    You say "There is a online owners manual here. Just use the seArch on top and type in owners manual and you can download it. Study it carefully, a lot of gimmicks and there are people which own the car for years already and they still find evert day a new feature."

Where is the online owners manual? I have no manual either and could use the information

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/
    and as special service
    http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/0%20...%205%20series/
    If you need one from E32, see my page.
    If you need one for E34 in German, let me know. Or see on the German e34 board and type in the search BA or Betriebsanleitung

Default There is a search link in top of the forum page, ...

just below and to the left of your welcome message, the is a key to a huge amount of info spreaded all over the threads of this forum. Enjoy it!!!

This is a link that will guide you to the owners manual.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...=Owners+Manual

Javier

Default Kim ........

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletParadigm
    Shogun,
    You say "There is a online owners manual here. Just use the seArch on top and type in owners manual and you can download it. Study it carefully, a lot of gimmicks and there are people which own the car for years already and they still find evert day a new feature."

Where is the online owners manual? I have no manual either and could use the information
    There is a second hand owners manual and log book available at euro car parts in Maddington. I can go and check it out for you tomorrow if you like.

Garry