GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Who has removed a radio from an E34?

Default Who has removed a radio from an E34?

My 91 525 has a Blaupunkt Bavaria C 2 that came stock with the car (I know, because the original manual is in the car). The volume knob is a little dirty, so I'm replacing it with a Blaupunkt Los Angeles. The new radio is a perfect, fit, even came with the little wire clip tool to remove the old radio. Only problem is that when I push the wire clip tools into the holes for in the face of the old radio, I am able to release the radio from its housing, but can only pull it about an inch away from the dashboard without encountering stiff resistance.

I've gone searched this forum, looked on bmwe34.net, the unofficial e34 page, and have gone throught he Haynes and original owner's manuals. The only thing they all refer to is a pair of Allen screws on either side of the stereo that need to be undone after removing access plates. This must be referring to another model, because they are just plain not there.

Here's a picture of my stereo with the Blaupunkt removal tools in place.

I'm just about ready to just grab a hold of the stereo with a channel lock and yank it out by brute force. I'd rather ruin the old stereo than have to take out the center console, A/C controls, etc to get at the back of the stereo.

Any ideas? I'm at wit's end here.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Well, I have a Babaria C professional RDS (I think) ...

and it actually have those mentioned screws. The way to remove the radio is to remove the face plate on the unit. It is only the plastic cover that snaps in, in front of the radio. Then locate the screws, one each side (that if I'm not mistaken, I learnt from a previous thread, from Winfred I think, it is not allen but 5 sides), loose the screws (this will recess back and towards the radio body some hooks that will prevent the radio to go out. The problem is that if you use brut force, you may severely damage the trimming on the console.

I can not guarantee your radio is like that, but you should try. Think I have to get the volume knob out before removing the plastic face plate.

Javier

Default Either you don't have the clips pushed in far enough or its hanging up on the

sleeve, I would try pushing the clips in and out further while tugging on the radio..

Quote Originally Posted by erg
    My 91 525 has a Blaupunkt Bavaria C 2 that came stock with the car (I know, because the original manual is in the car). The volume knob is a little dirty, so I'm replacing it with a Blaupunkt Los Angeles. The new radio is a perfect, fit, even came with the little wire clip tool to remove the old radio. Only problem is that when I push the wire clip tools into the holes for in the face of the old radio, I am able to release the radio from its housing, but can only pull it about an inch away from the dashboard without encountering stiff resistance.

I've gone searched this forum, looked on bmwe34.net, the unofficial e34 page, and have gone throught he Haynes and original owner's manuals. The only thing they all refer to is a pair of Allen screws on either side of the stereo that need to be undone after removing access plates. This must be referring to another model, because they are just plain not there.

Here's a picture of my stereo with the Blaupunkt removal tools in place.

I'm just about ready to just grab a hold of the stereo with a channel lock and yank it out by brute force. I'd rather ruin the old stereo than have to take out the center console, A/C controls, etc to get at the back of the stereo.

Any ideas? I'm at wit's end here.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo

Default So he don't have the screws!!

Javier

Bill R.
    You are a grand master... thanks! Though I still appreciate your jumping onto this thread right away Javier.

I was able to pull out the unit after seating it back in firmly, putting in the removal tools again and then just sliding the unit out.

The plug off the back came out easily too. The new unit is identical in dimensions (too bad the new stereo is a really really ugly silver plastic - but I couldn't turn down the deal for an SD card reading Blaupunkt for $150 - the Toronto is actually perfectly suited to match the rest of the dash... but all this guy had was silver) now I just have to figure out the details of matching the wiring.

Anybody want to buy a 2nd hand Bavaria C2 auto reverse?

Eduardo

stock deck is a piece.. just ram a screwdriver in at an angle and muscle it out haha
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike