GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT- need a new digi cam

Default OT- need a new digi cam

So, I was rushing off today to go help someone get an account set up at the LP gas place- he only speaks spanish and I offered to go along to translate. I got in a rush- I had just taken a couple of pics to post or email folks- some Ebay auctions I have running...I set my camera down on the roof of my E30, then went back to do one last thing, came back, jumped in the car and headed off down the road!! About 5 miles down the road- I saw this black thing out of the rear view mirror, tumbling down the road behind me- it was my )!^$*()!^$*(%~!@#% camera hitting the pavement and sliding!!!

I stopped and recovered the pieces, but it's not working anymore- it give me an error message- I can get it to take pics, but they are terribly out of focus (it is- or WAS- autofocus).

So, my question is- who can recommend a good digital camera for me that will not break the bank??

Here are my wants for the "new" camera:

- uses Compact flash for the memory card- since I already have about 5 of these.
    - uses standard "AA" batteries, since I have about 12 of these- NiMH rechargeables.
    - Under ~$200 or so, if possible.
    - Small + tough, I like the stainless steel case cameras (Canon??)
    - Not too concerned with huge megapixel cameras- my old one was a 2.1 MP Nikon Coolpix 800- and it did fine.
    - Short video clips might be nice, but can this be had in a ~$200 camera?

I REALLY cannot afford to spend much on a new camera right now- but I sort of need to have one.

Any leads on deals out there?? Any recommendations on which cameras to look for, or avoid??

Thanks!!

Bret.

Default hp 435

especially outside My HP 435 eats batteries like but gives good pics IMHO, you can find it for 120 bucks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Here are my wants for the "new" camera:

- uses Compact flash for the memory card- since I already have about 5 of these.
    - uses standard "AA" batteries, since I have about 12 of these- NiMH rechargeables.
    - Under ~$200 or so, if possible.
    - Small + tough, I like the stainless steel case cameras (Canon??)
    - Not too concerned with huge megapixel cameras- my old one was a 2.1 MP Nikon Coolpix 800- and it did fine.
    - Short video clips might be nice, but can this be had in a ~$200 camera?
    forget the AA batteries, i don't know a single digital camera today that uses them...

compact flash is also quite rare now, SD cards are much more common, they are dirt cheap you can get a 1gb SD card in australia for under $100

if you can give up those two, the canon ixus is by far the best digital camera i've used in the last 4 years.. unbelievably fast, small, huge screen, the best image quality i've seen in a consumer level point and shoot digicam.. oh and it does 640x480 30fps video until the memory card runs out, nice!

What a horrible thought....

Yes, I'd agree.... forget CF on any recent small cams, its really only used in pro cams now- maybe something second hand would be a good option.

Canon's are cool. I also like the Lumix jobbies (Panasonic). Great batteries (1 LiIon wil see you for hours and last for ages, Even high capacity 2500mAH NiMH can't compete with LiIon.) Nice lenses, Image Stabilizer (very handy when zooming). SD cards are available in 2GB or more now- and they are just as cheap... Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default Sorry, my wife's Nikon S4 that just came out uses 2 AA batteries specifically for the

reason that AA are available virtually anywhere in the world.. Using nimh AA in it i get around 250 shots to a charge on 2 AA's

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    forget the AA batteries, i don't know a single digital camera today that uses them...

compact flash is also quite rare now, SD cards are much more common, they are dirt cheap you can get a 1gb SD card in australia for under $100

if you can give up those two, the canon ixus is by far the best digital camera i've used in the last 4 years.. unbelievably fast, small, huge screen, the best image quality i've seen in a consumer level point and shoot digicam.. oh and it does 640x480 30fps video until the memory card runs out, nice!

Default Canon

Not many new digicams use both AAs and CF cards. Only Canon fits the bill for its older and more bulky models. (you did say a bit bulky would be ok). Forget the exact model, but a particular Canon 4 Mb would be ideal for you and your pricepoint. Higher amperage AAs would give you correspondingly longer bat life. Panasonic Lumix is also good, great lenses (Carl Zeiss) and features, the older models do use AAs but they use SD card memory.