GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1992 e34 525 ... need help with vanity lights

Default 1992 e34 525 ... need help with vanity lights

The driver's side vanity light (the one above the sun visor) has been out for a while. The passenger vanity light started flickering about a week ago and then totally went dead 2 days ago. I bought new bulbs for both, thinking that may have been the problem. But after installing the bulbs tonight, both vanity lights are still out.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I'm assuming it's in the wiring somewhere, but I don't even really know where to check, or what to check for. Any help would be appreciated.

I know vanity lights are a small thing, but I like to keep everything working properly on my baby!

I think i know the answer to your problem. I had this same problem for awhile, until i discovered that those lights do not always turn on when you slide the mirror open. I cant remember exactly, but i think that the head lights must either be on or have been on while you have been in the car in order for the vanity lights above the mirrors to work. I thought it was very strange myself...i hope this helps you!
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default If your sunroof switch is being lighted, ...

power to the circuits should be OK (best way to confirm is to test bulb light contacts, as one of them should have 12V to ground when lights on). Then ground path trough the sun visor switches should be checked. If I recall properly, it is a combination of a contact in the parking socket for the sun visor prong, and a switch in the mirror sliding cover. Check those tricky ground switches as they may be dirty. Hard to reach, I guess, have never tried.

Javier

i'd agree with a bad ground issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    power to the circuits should be OK (best way to confirm is to test bulb light contacts, as one of them should have 12V to ground when lights on). Then ground path trough the sun visor switches should be checked. If I recall properly, it is a combination of a contact in the parking socket for the sun visor prong, and a switch in the mirror sliding cover. Check those tricky ground switches as they may be dirty. Hard to reach, I guess, have never tried.

Javier
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    I think i know the answer to your problem. I had this same problem for awhile, until i discovered that those lights do not always turn on when you slide the mirror open. I cant remember exactly, but i think that the head lights must either be on or have been on while you have been in the car in order for the vanity lights above the mirrors to work. I thought it was very strange myself...i hope this helps you!
    On mine the headlights have to be on and the mirrors open to work.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

make sure the visors are clicked into the holding clips and that the contacts are lined up.If you look closely at the visor there is a "bush" that clips into the holder in the car.You can see a wire in each make sure they are aligned
    Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'll try everything tonight. When I was testing, I don't think I had my headlights on...so hopefully that's all it is. But if that doesn't work, I'll check the grounds.