GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: is it possible to decouple a driveshaft with the c/v joint attached?...

Default is it possible to decouple a driveshaft with the c/v joint attached?...

i thought i remember someone saying that if you disconnect at the guibo, and start the 19mm bolt with a breaker bar, you can just keep pulling the shaft forward, and turning the bolt, and pulling forward, and turning the bolt....until it comes out. i really don't have the timeframe (sunday) to do the guibo AND remove the shaft from the cv joint, but i need to do the center bearing (as its rattling when taking off from a stop in a hurry). fyi, i've done a guibo before, but didn't bother with the bearing because i was running out of daylight. the guibo is in tip top shape as a result...but ill be changing it anyway. thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

bump.....

im going to fess up and admit most of the reason that i don't want to take the driveshaft off the car....

when i did the guibo, i ended up snapping 3/6 of the bolts on it from rust/weather exposure to NY weather during the first few years of its life. the final drive bolts DO NOT look healthy, and i'd rather not have to remove them unless i have replacements for ALL of the bolts i may have to crack (this was the reason i didn't do the center bearing when i did the guibo, i spend 1/2 the time driving back and forth from the dealer with new bolts, and cracking the back ones did not look like a winning proposition, basically, i ran out of time doing the guibo to do anything else). any affirmatives/negatives to being able to do the center bearing on car? this is going to be my last bit of free time until thanksgiving, and the c-bearing needs changing.

thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

since no-one else will touch this I will render an oppinion. The rear section is centered by its own design so you can use any size replacement bolts(hardware store?). I do not know if you can remove it the way you discribe but possibly. If you do remove the rear section plan on spending time removing old greade and adding new cv grease.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

bump.

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    bump.

anyone?
    I suppose it is possible to separate the spline at the center bearing whilst leaving the rear section in the car. I did the center bearing and flex disk on my car this spring but cannot recall if the bearing stays on the forward or rearward seciton of the shaft. As long as you can mark the pieces so they stay in phase and have room for the puller needed to get the bearing off the shaft you should be good to go. Exhaust needs to come off or at least dropped well down at the front after removing the cats.

Good luck.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.