GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone here know something about auctions

Default anyone here know something about auctions

Any car auctions I can get into myself? I'd like to look around and see whats selling!

Which country do your prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Which country do your prefer?
    I'm in DFW, Texas, USA. So yeah. US

Are you thinking of the dealer/wholesaler auctions? I think those are virtually impossible to get into unless you are a dealer. Locally, we have an auction site that has cars every month. My son tried to buy a e34 525iT but the prices got too high too quick. The term "feeding frenzy" comes to mind watching the action. This site http://tgand.com/newauto/nepublic.htm has a listing for auctions around the US. Remember your Latin: Caveat emptor!

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Just look around, I'm sure there is plenty. Here you can go whenever you feel like ... you do have to give a 400 dollar cash deposit to get in, which is refunded if you don't buy anything or used towards the car purchase if you do buy.

As a matter of fact my dad went to one tonight.

Steer clear. Cheap prices for a reason. Can't test drive, no recourse on seller. Hammer fall is final. Can pick up a lemon as easily as picking up a deal.
    Cynic? yes!
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Steer clear. Cheap prices for a reason. Can't test drive, no recourse on seller. Hammer fall is final. Can pick up a lemon as easily as picking up a deal.
    Cynic? yes!

I agree with 1/2 of what wingman says- except the "steer clear" comment....

These cars are sold at auction for one of many reasons- these can be used car dealers who are simply clearing out some slow moving inventory, trade ins that are a not very desirable- or have some cosmetic (or other) issue that make it hard for a used car dealer to justify the expense of getting them ready for their sale lot, cars that are complete POS's and have major problems, or a combination of all the above.

You cannot (usually) test drive auction cars- you may be able to start them and shift thru the gears, but that's about it.

There are deals to be had, but it's also easy to get stuck with a lemon, or someone else's problems. If you buy cheap enough, you might come away with a deal!! Just know what you are doing, have a good idea of the worst case scenario (i.e.- tranny or engine needs replacement, etc).... and don't get caught up in the auction hype (my wife calls this "auction blindness")...

Bret

I bought a car at an auction once, fresh paint looked good, no test drive. The next day we popped it on a hoist to check for leaks and stuff...

the car broke in half! Frame was gone in front of the rear wheels. Nice investment.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I have the luxury of being a car dealer, and not only the adverage person gets stuck with a lemon, but dealers as well. I have bought several BMW's from the auction as I do have a passion for them. Some of them I resale, my 740il's will be mine for a while until I find something better. You can check out the vehicle the day before the sale if it is on the auctions lot. Otherwise, you simply take a chance on what comes in late. I have access to lists to let me know the vin # of vehicles that are running and I have a subscription to carfax. Carfax is only as good as long as someone had insurance pay for the repair. I have the experence to see or feel a repaint. I know how to look at the body of the car to see imperfections left behind by professional body shops cutting corners. You can more than likely get a used dealer to let you in on his badge for a price. you can not bid, he will have to do that for you. And you will have to take the risk of everything that is wrong and pay for it. Oh and don't forget auction fees, they go up for every 500.00 you send on the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast