GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Attn. Javier-Shogun, Trans Program rehash.

Default Attn. Javier-Shogun, Trans Program rehash.

Thanks for reading my post guys I appreciate your help.

I'm not very good at communicating on this forum, but I'm going to try and do my best.

This is my story. You remember that I ultimately had to put in a new alternator--which my mechanic installed for me. Well, 2 days ago I got the classic "trans program" message and my car went into limp mode. At that time, I was unaware of this "trans program issue". So, I checked the stomp code and got recieved "battery--DME". I figured with the alternator issue, and the previous owner's habbits, that I should probably replace the battery. So, I did.

Now--this is the reason I am writing this thread--After reading all the archives on this issue.--When my car went into limp mode, I started to experience a power drain. I could not find "power drain with limp mode" in any of the other threads.

So, naturally--being an idiot, and a novice, I figured it was the battery. Last night, however, this "trans program" event happened again. I again experienced not only limp mode, but also power drain.

My question, then, is this. Before I run through all the classic stuff surrounding this common issue, Should I be experiencing power drain with limp mode? Is this a sign that something is wrong between the new alternator and the new battery--(BTW--this problem<trans program> did not occur until I got a new alternator installed, although you'll remember that I was experiencing power loss)----or is it more likely, just one of the classic problems-i.e. speed sensor, tps link, trans board solder, etc.?

Thank you for your help. I hate to be the boy who cried wolf.

Stephen

O.K., let's start this before I go to bed because here in Japan it is already 02.00AM, and then someone can take over:
    The limp mode can come from the power drain but not the other way round.

First of all use your multitester and check:

battery voltage without ignition on
    battery voltage with ignition on
    battery voltage while the car is cranking (see for the lowest point in voltage)
    the charging voltage of the alternator at idle and then at about 1.500 RPM

Check the belt for the alternator if that is slipping.

Any other lights in the dash you can see? battery symbol in red glowing?
    Is the battery properly connected and also the ground cable of the battery?

Maybe someone has somehting to add, but this is first we have to knw.

Default Finished

Well, it's a sad story, but there is good news. The good news is that I solved the problem with your help. The bad news is that I lost a friend today.

After I got your post, I went out and ran through check list. Battery was low on charge, but pushing fine. I almost didn't check the alternator, but in the end I decided that you were right, and I should check it. Alternator was dead, shorted out. I started to look at it, and it didn't look like my old Bosche. I went inside and ran the serial number that I found with a mirror and some patience. Turns out to be not a Bosche re-man, but some shitty after market alternator.----problem solved.

Afterwards, I went to see my mechanic buddy who also has my wife's Lancia. I asked him nicely to refund my money--he swore up and down that it was a Bosche re-man, at which time I was forced to produce the print out sheet with serial number and manufacturer's notes. Finally he caved in and agreed to refund, but did not appologize. I was upset,--I totally trusted this guy. One again I'm forced to be a "lesson learned marter" for this forum, "Don't ever put complete trust in your mechanic ".

I drove the Lancia to the expensive place--not the stealer, the other one--you know the nice small garage with like 2 mechanics and several mazarati's. They're great, just not cheap. I'm having that car tuned and put in tip top shape for my wife for X-mas.

Oh well, thanks again for your help---I hope my experience helps someone.

it is unfortunate that it works out like that, my mechanic even had me attend his wedding. He replaced a trans on a full size pickup, all the bolts were loose, I didnt mention a thing. Next time I needed him and even volunteered to help as he has a lift and I can do the work and still pay him full rate because I need transportation he declined. I called 5 hours later and no answer...i was steamed, went up there and my keys were right on his desk where I left them, this was a paid redo for the shotty work on the trans. I needed to pick my kid up from school 55 miles away and all I had was 1st gear...nice. The last time was the infamous BMW rear end replacement where somehow the pinion nut was WAY over tightened, I again didnt mention a thing. Havent heard from him in months, he is probably getting his invoices printed by a more expensive place to avoid me...friend or acquaintence?

I think it's more like hack.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ps...did you do a full reboot of the computer?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff,

Please explain full reboot of computer----I took it (computer) out today and the new alternator is not in yet. I'm not sure what you mean--maybe you're talking about Shogun's reboot with the shorted battery cables?

BTW, pm me with rates for standard invoives and the logo you see.
    Last edited by HDhandyman; 11-09-2005 at 06:10 PM.