GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few pics from the m62 i did yesterday.

Default A few pics from the m62 i did yesterday.

first pic

Default A few more

always wondered what it looked like under them valve covers. Did you do a bit of cleaning under the intake or is this some freak engine?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Interesting - thx for the pics Bill.

The manifold on that car a single path or dual path? Can't recall the terminology but I think you know what I mean. Basically the effective runner length changes based on rpm/load.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

you thinking single or dual plane?

Its basicly a single plane with individual runners for each cylinder, the throttle body opens and its a big hole all the way to the back. The runners seem to be equal length.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    The manifold on that car a single path or dual path? Can't recall the terminology but I think you know what I mean. Basically the effective runner length changes based on rpm/load.

Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Jeff its pretty much the way that Jeff B describes it, its a single plane with a

pretty large plenum and the runners kind of wrap around internally so that each runner is longer than you think..

To answer Jeff B. thats just the way the top of the valley cover looked when i got the manifold off on this one.. 150k miles.. the last one i did looked the same way too though. I did clean around the ports before i took a pic though..and blew all the debris out between the edge of the head and manifold before i took the manifold off so that a bunch of crap wouldn't fall into the ports when i pulled the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.

Jeff

It would be interesting to see this done with the E39 M5 motor as a comparison??
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Default Always wondered what an M62 looked like inside...

At a quick glance, at first, I thought it was an M60. But there are even some visual differences when you look more carefully. Very interesting! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge
    At a quick glance, at first, I thought it was an M60. But there are even some visual differences when you look more carefully. Very interesting! Thanks for posting!
    They do look very similar, it must be becusae the m60 was so well designed it was hard to improve on haha

What did you do to this, replace the oil separator in the front of that first pic? If that was the issue, was there much oil in the manifold? On mine, it was filthy in there!

Are you going to replace the seals or gaskets associated with the valley pan? That's one thing I forgot to do, and now the car seems to loose coolant. Anyway, great pics. Thanks Bill R.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast