GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 325tds loss of power, heat up

Default 325tds loss of power, heat up

My mate who works with me drive's a 97 325tds. He was pushing it a bit on the way to work when the car suddenly suffered power loss. The heat gauge was also way up twords the red, but not over-heating, as he started coasting the heat came down and power was back.

Could there be some saftey device preventing the turbo from overheating or was the power loss due to high temp of intake air coming through turbo.

What do you think?

the "s" in tds stands for intercooler.even if it's kinda small it's efficient. so the high temp air gets ruled out. there is this thing that stops the turbo but it's connected to oil pressure.( no temp sensor, or something like it) . if u loose oil pressure it cuts out the turbo. this "thing" is a small round cylinder with a lever. it can fail, but it's rare.
    a thing that sometimes happen is that the seals in the turbocharger go bad and it spews oil in the intake manifold. if too much oil gets on the air temp sensor in the intake it can cause stuff like what u said, because the engine "thinks" it's too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by skr
    the "s" in tds stands for intercooler.even if it's kinda small it's efficient. so the high temp air gets ruled out. there is this thing that stops the turbo but it's connected to oil pressure.( no temp sensor, or something like it) . if u loose oil pressure it cuts out the turbo. this "thing" is a small round cylinder with a lever. it can fail, but it's rare.
    a thing that sometimes happen is that the seals in the turbocharger go bad and it spews oil in the intake manifold. if too much oil gets on the air temp sensor in the intake it can cause stuff like what u said, because the engine "thinks" it's too hot.
    That sounds possible, but i was not driving so don't really know how severe power loss was, hot intake air will only lead to minor power loss, so i doubt that the cause. either way very strange how temp gauge returned to normal and power was back within secconds. Really strange!!

Is there a temp sensor in the intake manifold and does it comunicate with water temp sensor to give gauge reading, if so i just learned something new.

Thanks 4 response!!!

i would assume when the engine temp gets to a certain level, ie. high, the ecu somehow cuts engine power. I found this out when i never got an airlock out the cooling system, drove a mile up the road, guage went up to red and engine shut down, cooled down a few minutes, restarted and ran ok.

same engine in my car 2.5tds
    Iain

1993 BMW 525 TDS SE 150K 2.5 Turbo Diesel, performance air filter, lowered sports suspension 30mm, full stainless decat exhaust, boot-lid spoiler, OBC retrofit, E60 Trapezoid alloys