GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New to the forum, quick question about steering.

Default New to the forum, quick question about steering.

Hey all I just bought a 95 525i. It was my first car ever, and Im more then happy its a bimmer. Enjoyed the car alot so far, the only problem is when I hit about 60mph, the steering wheel and the whole car starts to shake. Personally I thought it was the balancing or the alignment, how ever if it were anyone of those, you'd think it would shake even more at higher speeds. But oddly enough, if I go over 65, everything works just fine and no shaking at all. Any idea's anyone?

That should be the infamous thrust arm (upper control arm) bushings. My car is in the shop for the same reason. Go to www.bmwe34.net for the procedure, and parts

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker
    Hey all I just bought a 95 525i. It was my first car ever, and Im more then happy its a bimmer. Enjoyed the car alot so far, the only problem is when I hit about 60mph, the steering wheel and the whole car starts to shake. Personally I thought it was the balancing or the alignment, how ever if it were anyone of those, you'd think it would shake even more at higher speeds. But oddly enough, if I go over 65, everything works just fine and no shaking at all. Any idea's anyone?
    Welcome and congrats on the new car. As was mentioned above the Thrust Arms are a possibility. But, if it happens while cruising I would check elsewhere first. You can visually inspect the thrust arms for wear and replace if necessary. But I would guess based on your symptoms that you either have a bent wheel or one or more tires are out of balance. I would have the balance checked/redone first if the thrust arms look OK.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Oh, supposedly another way to check if it is the thrust arms, is under moderate braking... the car will shimmy as well under braking.

Hey thanks alot guys. Really appreciate the help. At least now Ive got somewhere to start with out having to spend a couple hundred to just get a starting point. And I know it was a big jump going from not ever having a car to having a bimmer, but it was "damn worth it"
    And being totally noob and clueless about cars, I think I've found alot of useful information by just spending some time and looking at the site, and reading through the forums. Thanks again!