GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Dich Schneiders, what are the problems you have had with your 525's

Default Dich Schneiders, what are the problems you have had with your 525's

I can't say that I have had too many in 13 years.

Default Phil, I have had very little in the way of significant problems

The one that I have had for over 4 years had to have the lower control arms replaced and also new brake rotors. It also had an aux water pump go bad. Such stuff like a new oil pressure sensor and oil level sensor, which were minor. I had to replace a sensor in the auto tranny because of intermittent Trans Program messages, but the tranny always worked fine. This cost several hundred dollars. The most significant repair was to fix a very small leak in the auto tranny. A seal had to be replaced and it cost about $800. Oh, I forgot one that was even more. The A/C compressor went bad and I had it replaced at the BMW dealer which was quite expensive - over $1,200, as I recall.

The other 1991 525i that we bought a couple of years ago has had a lot fewer problems. I had a water pump go bad and that is about it, other than really minor stuff like a power steering fluid leak. The engine on it has been chattering after it is really warmed up, and I suspect that one of the valves is sticking. Since they are not adjustable, I might have to get them replaced.

I love these cars, both because they are fun to drive and still very reliable even after many miles and 13 years.

Dick Schneiders (2, 1991 525i's)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Sanderson
    I can't say that I have had too many in 13 years.

I still could not think of replacing my 525 yet, I think it will have to die before I will want to. It's been a very reliable car and apart from the usual brake replacements and normal upkeep I've only had a couple of breakdowns such as the rear seal in the auto trans. and the air cond. receiver dryer (I think that's what it is called). I am hoping the '93 540 we bought 6 months ago will be as reliable as the 525 has been.