GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ha! Steering play no more! Finally!

Default Ha! Steering play no more! Finally!

Yep, it's true, my steering wheel is now as tight as Pamela Anderson's **** in a kid's T-shirt. Adjusting the steering box was the solution! Thanks BM-BOY!

After trying to tighten the nut behind the wheel I discovered it's imposible to move it either way and left it the way it is. Today I adjusted the screw on top of the steering box and voila! Steering wheel feel is great, almost zero play.

The thing is, I had to tighten that screw all the way to achieve a nice and firm feel - I suspect my steering box is pretty worn out, but I hope it will last at least a 100k km more tighened to the max, like it is now. As far as I know, this is the original one. I guess, 350k km wouldn't be so bad for a stock steering box after all
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

dude thats not good at all, does the steering wheel return to center on its own on a turn?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    dude thats not good at all, does the steering wheel return to center on its own on a turn?
    Yes it does, but not as fast as it did when play was there. No return = bad?

Yes, I'm aware that the steering box will wear out faster when tightened to the max, but I suspect it's pretty worn out anyway, so I might as well enjoy the firm feel until it decides to go south for good.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Default If you have it that tight then its going to go bad very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Yes it does, but not as fast as it did when play was there. No return = bad?

Yes, I'm aware that the steering box will wear out faster when tightened to the max, but I suspect it's pretty worn out anyway, so I might as well enjoy the firm feel until it decides to go south for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Yeah, I kinda suspected that. How quickly is very quickly (in miles/km)?

Default a couple of weeks or so.

Yeah, I kinda suspected that. How quickly is very quickly (in miles/km)?

Ugh! So should I untighten it and live with the play?

Default Moderation in all things... I would back it off some more , you don't have to

go back to where it was but you can't have it all the way tightened down either. All recirculating ball steering boxes have some play in them , they don't ever feel quite as tight as a rack and pinion steering gear.

Ugh! So should I untighten it and live with the play?

go back to where it was but you can't have it all the way tightened down either. All recirculating ball steering boxes have some play in them , they don't ever feel quite as tight as a rack and pinion steering gear.
    Thanks! I will do that tommorow. I guess I can live with SOME play, but this was, like, 2 cm from left to right, I had to do something about it.

One more time, thanks Bill and Jeff for your prompt answers!

2cm really doesnt seem like very much.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast