GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Guys, introducing my new monster...

Default Hi Guys, introducing my new monster...

Hi guys
    Wanted to introduce my latest toy roaming the streets of Western Australia. Its a turbocharged 88 535i which has had a lot of work done to the motor.

block was sourced (new), a 745i turbo block from Germany.
    crank and rods are german aftermarket, fully balanced bottom end
    APEP forged pistons 7:1 CR
    o ringed block/head
    Fully ported head by Greg Gower in WA
    Custom cam by Wade cams
    770cc injectors
    Haltech 6EK engine management with individual coils
    Special EFI 1000cc 4 plate throttle body adapted to fit stock inlet manifold
    Custon exhaust manifold feeding a Garret GT30 ball bearing turbo
    External wastegate routed back to exhaust
    Dual 2.5" exhaust by Andy Butler in WA (sounds mad)
    massive front mounted custon intercooler
    and a lot of other smaller bits to make it run right

Suspension is Bilstien all round with Brembo monoblock 4 piston and 850i rotors on the font and Bembo 2 piston monoblock on the back.

Box is a Getrag G260/6 and the diff has had some LSD work done recently. Clutch is special and was originally ceramic puks but was a bitch to drive. A special was made up by the clutch factory in WA that is organic. Its pretty heavy to operate but is strong as hell and very streetable. Wheels are Alpina.

It a drive when its provoked. Its like a gentlemans street legal racer. 1st is no use under boost. 2nd is pretty violent. 3rd onwards is just mad thrust...

Is makes 470 lb.ft at 2800rpm and it holds torque to redline (ouch..., my poor old Getrag!). A dyno plot from a magazine article that featured it a few years back showed 503hp at the rears, ~650hp+ at the crank.

I was in touch with the owner last year when I lived in the states and since arriving in oz, have always toyed with the idea of buying it. I had a Honda S2000 for a while but its little 9000rpm engine drove me so I ditched it and got the beemer.

I love it. I am a tinkerer and have had many modified cars including BMW M3's, E39 540i, etc and many Porsches.

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help with about stuff on the car such which I will throw in another thread. Look forward to participating in this excellent forum!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by beetos; 11-13-2005 at 06:25 AM.

G'day mate. I've been intersted in a turbo setup for a while, there aren't too many turbo e34's in australia. Your car looked similar to the one that was on ebay a while ago. Your engine mods sound awesome. I have heaps of questions, I won't ask them now though. welcome aboard.

Hi There welcome to the forum

That car looks absolutely stunning. Really is one of the most impressive 5 series Ive seen, and pretty much my dream 5... I so need a turbo lol

Must be awesome with that sort of power. Has it been reliable ?

1991 BMW 525i sport manual, BBTB, Mintex Extreme Pads, Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs,Viper2 chip, //M5 Replica.

Welcome. If you are also looking for a local forum for crusies try www.eurocca.net

Car looks great.

You must be shittin' me. Is there a track near you and have you let it all hang out?

Thanks for the compliments, Its a little rougher than it might look in the flesh but nothing a bit of paint and body work work won't fix. Its pretty reliable so far. Its been in its current tune for a few years and starts and runs fine. No smoke etc. Tranny is suprisingly healthy.

The Haltech needs some work at idle and very light throttle as is idles a bit rough (like a cammy V8 on carbs) and hunts a bit at light load. The idle air contol system seems to be shagged but I'm pretty sure its just the set up within the Haltech. I'm sure I can smooth out the tuning.

The main thing is that the mapping under boost feels very good. I will probably change the engine management to AEM soon as I want something with closed loop knock and boost control. I am a strong believer in making sure the engine managemet is spot on. Get that wrong and its usually curtains.

I really need to get it to a track and open it up. Its a bit overkill for the steet!

Beetos, sweet ride there! That thing must be insane under boost! I know what you mean about 1st gear.....

Any specs on the track?

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by beetos
    Hi guys

I had a Honda S2000 for a while but its little 9000rpm engine drove me so I ditched it and got the beemer.

!

We are all drooling over the power your beast has. Too bad you are in Western Australia. If you were around Sydney, you and BigKriss could go to the track together. Here are some pics of the homeboys from Oz.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ghlight=sydney

I am with Duey--tell us more what you mean about 1st gear.

And fyi, the convention on this board is beemers are cycles--we drive bimmers.

Congrats on scoring that car and welcome to the board.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    We are all drooling over the power your beast has. Too bad you are in Western Australia. If you were around Sydney, you and BigKriss could go to the track together. Here are some pics of the homeboys from Oz.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ghlight=sydney

I am with Duey--tell us more what you mean about 1st gear.

And fyi, the convention on this board is beemers are cycles--we drive bimmers.

Congrats on scoring that car and welcome to the board.

That car is awesome... BTW - when I use the same lead in phrase "introducing my new monster" my wife just laughs - why is that?
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Well, 1st is basically wheelspin under high boost. Its hard to modulate 20psi when to prevent wheelspin when it comes on so fast. The GT30 ball bearing turbo is a very nice unit, and when being whipped up by a 3.5 litre mill, it kicks like a mule. Anyway, 1st is all over in a second, much better to get off the line fairly decent and nail it in 2nd.

Bimmer not beemer, thanks for getting me staight on that How could I make such a mistake, especially when I'm logged onto 'bimmer.info.com'.....I stand corrected!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast