GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice for Tomorrow

Default Need Advice for Tomorrow

Hi Guys

Tomorrow I'm going to drive a 94 540i and I've wanted one for a while but couldn't afford one til now...

What should I check for?
    How do I use the "stomp test" to find any problems?

Thanks!

Evan

Give it to me?
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Hi Guys

Tomorrow I'm going to drive a 94 540i and I've wanted one for a while but couldn't afford one til now...

What should I check for?
    How do I use the "stomp test" to find any problems?

Thanks!

Evan
    Have it checked by an independant BMW mechanic you trust, It's well worth it.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Stomp test:

1. Turn the ignition key on (without starting the car) and depress the accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds.
    2. The check engine light will remain lit for 5 seconds, blink off, light for 2.5 seconds, goes off for 2.5 sec. and will start flashing the codes.
    3. Each code is separated by a 2.5 sec. pause. A 0.5 sec. blink then nothing means the end of the code reading. To read them again, depress the accelerator pedal 5 times again.

To see the codes go here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

Good luck.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Dude dont jump!

You have time to have it inspected, even if it costs a couple hundred ducks you will be ahad of the game on 2 fronts, if you get the car you know what needs immediate attention....2 you will save yourdelf the hardship of having to replace something worth more than the car it self...

If you get the car you owe me a ride in it down a freeway.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Definitely have an indy inspect it.
    And while he has it up on the lift, check the block serial number to see if it's a Nikasil or Alusil; not that it makes a difference at this point in time, but you may as well know up front.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Evan, read up on early M60 V-8's here: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-m60v8.asp

And, as the othere guys said, tell the seller you will take it to an independant mechanic (who has a good reputation, tell the folks where you live and you might get a recommendation here). If the seller balks, and doesn't agree...PASS ON THE CAR!

Things to look for: worn front suspension components (the infamour thrust arm), steering linkages, driveshaft, rear suspension components (the short pittman arms - look like 4" long dog bones) and general condition under the hood.

Records, whether from BMW stealer or an Indy mechanic would help greatly.

Here is another site that you can read through to familiarize yourself with the major aspects of E34's in general, and some V-8 specifics... Bruno's E34 site

Oh, as much as you may like the car, if you are very interested tell the seller so, but do not be swayed from the independant inspection. Also, take pics and post them here so we can feel the Karma (or lack thereof) of your potential new ride.

Cheers,
    Duey
    Last edited by DueyT; 11-04-2005 at 05:41 AM. Reason: danred computer posted before I was done! >:-(

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

and DEFINETLY run a car fax on it!!

Records, whether from BMW stealer or an Indy mechanic would help greatly.

Here is another site that you can read through to familiarize yourself with the major aspects of E34's in general, and some V-8 specifics... Bruno's E34 site

Oh, as much as you may like the car, if you are very interested tell the seller so, but do not be swayed from the independant inspection. Also, take pics and post them here so we can feel the Karma (or lack thereof) of your potential new ride.

Cheers,
    Duey[/QUOTE]
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

OK I'm on my way out the door and i took all of your advice. I printed out a sheet with the things I will inspect when I get there. This is my second E34. The first has been awesome.

The block on this one is Nikasil... it has some rust and it isn't perfect but if the price is right and the drive train is solid, I'll take the plunge...

I'll let you know tonight what happened.

Cheers,
    Evan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast