GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great socket set

Default Great socket set

So this set was in my shipment that I got yesterday in addition to other things and the nitrile gloves Bill did not warn me about ;-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44808

I was verrry impressed with it, especially for the price. Not sure what the sears cost would be since their sets contain wrenchs & stuff I already have. But it basically has every socket I'll ever need 204 pieces.

Heavy as hell and comes in a nice case.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

LOTS of 6 point sockets! thats whats the best part
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

wonder how long they will last....

I like taking my craftsman sockets back to the store.... at least a couple a year....
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

I have many tools of many qualities; craftsman, harbor freight, depot/lowes, and K-mart, and one super cheap set I wont even tell you where I bought it (Just used to keep in the E24)

I'd rank these as good as the normal craftsman stuff. Limited lifetime warranty... has anyone dealt with lifetime warranty stuff from Harbor, how is it?
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

Quote Originally Posted by DaCan23
    I have many tools of many qualities; craftsman, harbor freight, depot/lowes, and K-mart, and one super cheap set I wont even tell you where I bought it (Just used to keep in the E24)

I'd rank these as good as the normal craftsman stuff. Limited lifetime warranty... has anyone dealt with lifetime warranty stuff from Harbor, how is it?

Well, the "lifetime" HF warranty is handled differently depending on which employee you speak with. I tried to return a broken 17mm impact socket that broke the first time I tried to use it- and it was not under any sort of high torque situation- it broke while loosening an E30 lug bolt with a 1/2" breaker bar.

The retail store employee I spoke to said that they did not sell single impact sockets any longer, so I would have to ship it back to HF and they should send me another one. I asked the manager to confirm this, and he told me to get a socket assortment off the shelf that had the one I needed- he took the new 17mm impact socket out of the set and handed it to me, and told the cashier to put the rest of the set in with the defective stuff. I asked him if he got credit for the defective parts, and he said that they would just mark it down and sell it with 1 socket missing. He then asked me if I wanted the set with the 17mm "missing".....for $6 (HF cost for the set)!!! I took it- so now I have a set with 1 17mm missing, and a NEW complete set of impact sockets- and none of the others have broken yet.

YMMV

Bret.

So.... until HF gets a store in new England... ship broken things to you? LOL Actually I saw an ad once that was a traveling tool flea market type thing, that I swear was HF stuff, didnt make it to the local weekend stop, and it said also Help Wanted, so maybe they are comin to this area.

How the heck did an impact socket break 1st time from a breaker bar use? not a impact air driver...
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

some of these things are cast at different places with different materials and no quality control, I kept breaking the same size socket a while back and none of the others ever broke...but it sucked because it put my project on hold...I bought that socket from a different store and Im good to go.

So.... until HF gets a store in new England... ship broken things to you? LOL Actually I saw an ad once that was a traveling tool flea market type thing, that I swear was HF stuff, didnt make it to the local weekend stop, and it said also Help Wanted, so maybe they are comin to this area.

How the heck did an impact socket break 1st time from a breaker bar use? not a impact air driver...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Because they're painted POS, low quality, low tolerance tools.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Because they're painted POS, low quality, low tolerance tools.

best, whit
    You own Tonka exclusivly?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    You own Tonka exclusivly?
    LOL....

I used to have a bunch of the old steel ones....
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast