GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Fluid Change

Default Transmission Fluid Change

First of all, a little about my car. I do not know when the fluid has last been changed. I do know that the transmission fluid is a transparent red color (like strawberry jam) and does not smell burnt. I have narrowed it down to three choices:

Choice A: I change the transmission fluid as per the bentley intsructions, replaicing the gasket and fliter as well.

Choice B: I change the fluid as per bentley instructions, along with the gasket and filter but save the old fluid in some sort of container as a back up for if the transmission suddenly died because it does not have the "grittiness" anymore.

Choice C: I dont change the fluid at all and wait for the inevitable transmission failure 100-300k miles down the road.

The question is, which choice should i choose?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

pretty much rule of thumb here is to change the filer and all the fluid that escapes (about 3-4 Qts) Only. do this about every 30k and you should be fine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The rest is just trapped in the torque converter then? My transmission leaks, so i added some fluid to bring it near the high mark on the dipstick. It continued to leaked for a couple of weeks, so i thought it might be a good idea to check the level and add some. But the level was still at the high mark from when i topped it off the the last time! Two weeks of leaving puddles in the driveway but no fluid missing? I hope gallons and gallons of fluid dont come out when i change it and keep pouring out untill i put the plug back in...maybe its a "bottomless" transmission?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

LMAO... I think you will only lose 3-4 qts on the filter change. a dramatic flush or change is what can kill the trans.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

No one can explain why the level on the dipstick did not go down?
    southwest WA

Alex, we talk about this all the time, man.

How is the fluid level being checked? What's leaking? The rear output seal leaks on practically all of these. Pan gasket is going to be replaced when you do the fluid/filter change. Use the OEM filter -- cheap/non BMW ones will collapse, although this is more a 5hp issue.

The decision to change the fluid is up to you -- you're the one who has to pay the consequences if the sucker doesn't shift after adding new fluid.

Saving the old fluid in hopes of adding it back in if the thing stops working demonstrates a bit of misunderstanding as to what's happening in such a situation: the old fluid may be burnt or dirty, adding new/clean fluid with fresh "detergents" effectively cleans the trans up a bit. The frictions in the clutchpacks lose some unknown quantity of adhesive, thereby causing the trans to slip or otherwise not work. So, changing the fluid dislodges the "dirt". Analyzing the current fluid helps to determine how much gunk is already in the trans.

Do 15k fluid/filter changes on the 4hp-22. Once you've started them and the trans is fine, no need to worry about it. Just drive the thing.

best, whit

whit. what kind of symptoms are seen when a filter collapses?

My transmission makes a big clink sound sometimes when shifting gears....

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Alex, we talk about this all the time, man.

How is the fluid level being checked? What's leaking? The rear output seal leaks on practically all of these. Pan gasket is going to be replaced when you do the fluid/filter change. Use the OEM filter -- cheap/non BMW ones will collapse, although this is more a 5hp issue.

The decision to change the fluid is up to you -- you're the one who has to pay the consequences if the sucker doesn't shift after adding new fluid.

Saving the old fluid in hopes of adding it back in if the thing stops working demonstrates a bit of misunderstanding as to what's happening in such a situation: the old fluid may be burnt or dirty, adding new/clean fluid with fresh "detergents" effectively cleans the trans up a bit. The frictions in the clutchpacks lose some unknown quantity of adhesive, thereby causing the trans to slip or otherwise not work. So, changing the fluid dislodges the "dirt". Analyzing the current fluid helps to determine how much gunk is already in the trans.

Do 15k fluid/filter changes on the 4hp-22. Once you've started them and the trans is fine, no need to worry about it. Just drive the thing.

best, whit
    That's the plan for my tranny, when I get around to it.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    That's the plan for my tranny, when I get around to it.
    I've got the parts, just need to find the time.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

you are the future post whore, I think your daily numbers are higher than mine!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast