GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering play, part II

Default Steering play, part II

Since I didn't get a reply in one of the earlier post, I'll repeat the question in hope that some nice and experienced people will see it this time:

"I just checked that nut behind the steering wheel today, and it was VERY tight - I couldn't do anything with it. I watched the steering box while turning the steering wheel, and it seems that there is no play between the wheel and the shaft that goes directly into the steering box, but there's still play noticable while driving! Is my steering box shot?"

Anyone?

P.S. The telescoping thingy functions normally?
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

I didn't read your other post but, there is so much "stuff" after the steering box that your play could be anything. Tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, ball joints, etc. Have someone move the wheel back and forth while you get under the car and look for something moving before the wheels move.

just cause the nut behind the wheel is tight dont mean its tight...there is a break away torque which I experienced, I loosened it about 1/4 turn then tightened it another almost 2 turns until the telescoping part was tight to pull out or push in. Since I dont use mine in anything but the fully extended position I didnt se any reason to leave it so loose that it slides easy...this was a night and day difference in my car.

edit: inspect the entire front end for any play, one sloppy end or joint will cause this and also the rear dogbones attribute a looseness on the road.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    just cause the nut behind the wheel is tight dont mean its tight...there is a break away torque which I experienced, I loosened it about 1/4 turn then tightened it another almost 2 turns until the telescoping part was tight to pull out or push in. Since I dont use mine in anything but the fully extended position I didnt se any reason to leave it so loose that it slides easy...this was a night and day difference in my car.

edit: inspect the entire front end for any play, one sloppy end or joint will cause this and also the rear dogbones attribute a looseness on the road.
    OK, let me clarify a bit - the shaft that enters the steering box moves together with the steering wheel and no play is noticed, HOWEVER, during that (very light) steering there is no wheel movement! Wheels start moving only if I steer enough degrees to feel much more friction.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Same as in my car... You can adjust the steering box - go to http://www.bmwe34.net/ where it'll tell you how to adjust it... I haven't gotten around to it yet mind, so dunno if that will fix my play or not!!

Quote Originally Posted by BM-BOY
    Same as in my car... You can adjust the steering box - go to http://www.bmwe34.net/ where it'll tell you how to adjust it... I haven't gotten around to it yet mind, so dunno if that will fix my play or not!!
    Thanks, but I already know that, and tried tightening the nut but the play is still there. Read the whole thread before posting, please

tightening the steering nut and adjusting the steering box a re two different things

steering box

steering nut
    -Pekka

Quote Originally Posted by peks
    tightening the steering nut and adjusting the steering box a re two different things

steering box

steering nut
    Indeed. My bad. Will try that over the weekend.

My apologies to BM-BOY!

Is there a difference in steering play with the motor running and the motor off?
    '95 525it 88k

Quote Originally Posted by theonew
    Is there a difference in steering play with the motor running and the motor off?
    Yes, there's SLIGHTLY less play when motor is running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast