GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I might part out the car(E34). Pros and cons? Comments appreciated

Default I might part out the car(E34). Pros and cons? Comments appreciated

I have been wanting to part out my 89, 535i (175k) after the transmission started slipping. Everything else is in perfect order, but I just don't think it is wise to spend 1700$ and fix it, besides I think I am a little nuts about taking it apart.
    Someone told me that a lot of the parts will not be sold for a long time and they will sit in my garage, also there are parts that I can not even manage to take out and ship by myself (like the engine which makes sense). Then again someone said that little parts will bring a good amount of money and it sure beats selling it as it is.
    Any one of you guys (with minimum skills and tools) has ever tried to pull this off? Comments are appreciated.
    Oh. Please do comment if you are an expert also.
    Last edited by amsmk; 11-01-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Its a helluva dirty job mate. But if u have the time, space and inclination and can sell the parts... it might well be worth it. The problem is the space/time, be sure to consider the average shelf life of a part at the wrecker- and they have all the sales contacts. Nick.

ps Whether $1700 is worth it depends on how good the rest of the car is, and how much the changeover to another vehicle will then be. Perhaps you can sell it as is as it still runs...

ps2 I'd suggest you talk to Whit Lowell on this forum (Lowell), he's got a spare tranny adn works in a very good BMW shop- would do an excellent changeover if you can make it to his place.
    Last edited by genphreak; 11-01-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

If the car is in good shape I would spend the $1700. That is equal to only about 4 car payments. Much better than having car payments for another 5 years. But it all comes down to you and your situation. Good luck

It takes me at least three days to strip a car with good tools and a lift, usually a week to get it down to the body shell (no axles/subframes/gas tank/heat shields/hardware). Minus the drivetrain, we fit the average car into three palleted crates. We use the parts for various things -- swaps and custom work, customers who want used parts to save a few bucks, occasionally we sell things on eBay. But a lot of it sticks around.

It's a lot of work.

Frankly, I can't believe you're about to part out an E34 for a bad transmission -- a florida/no rust/no accident damage car, at that!

best, whit

Default It's a lot of work + a PITA to sell

Martinator and I did one.

Better as a way to keep the cool parts you want by selling the rest. The stuff you can sell quick is the engine, diffy, wheels, interior electronics and, if in really nice shape, interior seats and panels. Everything after that is a crap shoot. Not a real way to make money but a good way to fill up your garage with a bunch o' stuff.

Before (note the stealthy Martinator incognito)

After (picked clean like a turkey carcass at convention of homeless folk)

Last edited by Jeff N.; 11-01-2005 at 10:47 PM.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

WOW...awsome insights. Thanks guys. So far all against it.

Where are you located lowell?

Wow -- you guys left a lot of meat on that sucker!

The last one I did, which finally disappeared last Friday:

We sold it on eBay for $15.50 as a rolling chassis with a good front clip/rear quarter. Nothing left on it except the front fenders, hood, rusty gas tank (no sender/pump), and the wrecked door shell/glass. Windshield was cracked, so it went, too. Fritz got the front seats and a few other tidbits, the engine went in another car, and everything else is in three crates

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by amsmk
    Where are you located lowell?

I don't know if Whit (Lowell) didn't see this post or he is being shy, but he is in Cleveland at

Koala Motorsport

By the way guys, I LOVE these pictures. Thanks.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default You think? :)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Wow -- you guys left a lot of meat on that sucker!
    ...nah... It had a 4 corner bingo. Every body panel was shot. Interior was totally prime. Got all that.

BTW, I see a little suspension "meat" left on yours. Hehe...ours wouldn't roll it was done.

I think you do get points for neatness though.

Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy