GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window keep falling off track, found part but parts dept at BMW is no help ???

Default Window keep falling off track, found part but parts dept at BMW is no help ???

I have a problem with my rear windows on my 1992 E34 touring. They keep falling off the track but I found the problem. The problem is a small plastic wheel that has broke.I tried to get this part but bmw says I have to buy the whole window mechanical set-up. The part looks like it would cost 10 cents. Hell no this cant be I need help finding this part or cant I get a wheel from another car.
    Here are some pics.This is the inside of the door. The wheel snaps on the end of the metal piece then it runs on the guide

Please help anyone, Paging Shogun
    Last edited by Boost Infection; 10-31-2005 at 12:54 PM.

What a pity you chose not to be helpful and complete your public profile with your car/model detail .. or even write it in this request for help
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Sorry about that I was rushing just to post for help. I did editing

I believe they are right, I looked up all the slider pieces but didnt see the round one in there at all, I think IIRC you can use the rectangular slider in its place.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I believe they are right, I looked up all the slider pieces but didnt see the round one in there at all, I think IIRC you can use the rectangular slider in its place.
    I've never seen that part before but on other vehicles it is usually pressed/tack welded into place, necessitating the mechanism replacement. Did you find the wheel that 'snapped off' in the bottom of the door? Perhaps it cracked/wore off the pressed lug, (If I'm right). If it did, the mecho might be bent (has the boor been bent/damaged before) as they tend to last a long time in our cars...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

looks like it pops off just like the sliders.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I've done a lot of these in the past few months. The entire regulator needs to be replaced. Evidently, it's a shitty design.

I'm assuming the following is happening: as you're driving along with the window ~ 1/2 open, it slides back and forth, dropping it out of the track. This action may also be inherent in the window closing/opening due to the play in the mechanism. Get it fixed soon, else you'll need to replace the rubber gasket that encases the outer glass and frame of the door, and that's not a fun or easy job.

Be very careful when replacing the regulator. The clips and retainers that facilitate movement between the metal arms and the glass need to be correctly snapped into place, else the window will jump out of the track again. I have a picture of one correctly installed, somewhere around here.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    I've done a lot of these in the past few months. The entire regulator needs to be replaced. Evidently, it's a shitty design.

I'm assuming the following is happening: as you're driving along with the window ~ 1/2 open, it slides back and forth, dropping it out of the track. This action may also be inherent in the window closing/opening due to the play in the mechanism. Get it fixed soon, else you'll need to replace the rubber gasket that encases the outer glass and frame of the door, and that's not a fun or easy job.

Be very careful when replacing the regulator. The clips and retainers that facilitate movement between the metal arms and the glass need to be correctly snapped into place, else the window will jump out of the track again. I have a picture of one correctly installed, somewhere around here. best, whit
    Thanks Whit... there's some guy on eBay selling the regulator clips... but I remmeber looking them up once and they seemed to be a normal BMW part... evidently its a matter of doing the whole damn reg. (I feel for ya, doors are the worst part about working on cars... evgen in a BMW they use crumby pressed parts like this) Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    I've never seen that part before but on other vehicles it is usually pressed/tack welded into place, necessitating the mechanism replacement. Did you find the wheel that 'snapped off' in the bottom of the door? Perhaps it cracked/wore off the pressed lug, (If I'm right). If it did, the mecho might be bent (has the boor been bent/damaged before) as they tend to last a long time in our cars...

Yes I did find the plastic piece and it sucks that I have to buy the whole regulater part for a part that cost less than 25 cents

Thanks for you help. I am going to try and rig something up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast