GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspect someone is searching our profiles for personal information

Default Suspect someone is searching our profiles for personal information

A while back BigKriss posted this link to see who is online. I use it regularly because I find interesting (to me at least) old threads (like the one on the 535 vs 525) that I would not otherwise find. I look at what the guests are searching for and that is how I stumble across interesting information.

For the last week I have noticed that 2 or 3 or 4 guests at a time are looking at profiles and often the profiles they are looking at are ones of people who are not currently active. Just now, I noticed that the two profiles they were looking at happen to be next to each other alphabetically.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/online.php?

I am not sure what information people could get or what use it could be put to, but I do think something is going on. Probably a good idea not have full birthdays or if you live in a small town, not to have the town.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Is there any way to disable the search feature for guests? I know that Roadflea requires you to sign in to perform a search.

It would be interesting to know if the IP addresses of these guests are from the same IP address block, and the location.

Maybe it's time to require ALL access to require that you register and enter a valid email address that the server sends an email to as part of the registration process. I really don't see a problem with that.

MarkD
    Last edited by MarkD; 10-29-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    Is there any way to disable the search feature for guests? I know that Roadflea requires you to sign in to perform a search.

It would be interesting to know if the IP addresses of these guests are from the same IP address block, and the location.

Maybe it's time to require ALL access to require that you register and enter a valid email address that the server sends an email to as part of the registration process. I really don't see a problem with that.

MarkD

That is probably a good idea, but I am not sure how much protection that would give us. I personally have 8 valid email addresses.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

That is a program glitch/error. I know the same question from other boards.
    Actually guests should not be able to look into that.
    Logout and try it here too.
    I have not tried it yet.

i dont see any problem with that eihter.If you dont register with a valid email addy,you shouldnt be able to do ANYTHING.
    Gone but not forgotten

Sounds like a good idea to me, requiring registration that is. Wouldn't affect any new users, and people could still read posts before decididng if they wanted to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    A while back BigKriss posted this link to see who is online. I use it regularly because I find interesting (to me at least) old threads (like the one on the 535 vs 525) that I would not otherwise find. I look at what the guests are searching for and that is how I stumble across interesting information.

For the last week I have noticed that 2 or 3 or 4 guests at a time are looking at profiles and often the profiles they are looking at are ones of people who are not currently active. Just now, I noticed that the two profiles they were looking at happen to be next to each other alphabetically.

I am not sure what information people could get or what use it could be put to, but I do think something is going on. Probably a good idea not have full birthdays or if you live in a small town, not to have the town.
    Given the nature of this forum this phenomenon may or may not be sinister.

I usually do not log on to read posts and only log on to post and then immediately log off. Cannot offer a reason other than it has become a habit as I find reading the threads off line easier than on line.

I am a member of a couple of other forums relating to motor vehicles and both required a person to be logged on to view member profiles.
    I, for one, would be more comfortable if this forum was the same.

I do not quite know what anyone could do with any of the information in the profiles but do feel the added security would be worthwhile.

On many forums it actually lists those members currently online and this might also be worth considering.
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 10-29-2005 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added final paragrah in italics

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

I'm gonna check on what info I've got there.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Is this sort of paranoia common in the US?

So what if someone is browsing thru the profiles? It's not likely someone's searching a user who lives close to him so that he can steal a 15 year old car... C'mon, people...
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Is this sort of paranoia common in the US?

So what if someone is browsing thru the profiles? It's not likely someone's searching a user who lives close to him so that he can steal a 15 year old car... C'mon, people...
    I know who you are and I saw what you did!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast