GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540 owners- what does your intake elbow look like?

Default 540 owners- what does your intake elbow look like?

On a past thread when I expressed the frustration that I had getting my plastic TB elbow to go back onto my TB, Jeff (Regal) suggested that it may be the wrong elbow, as he thought all the 540 elbows were aluminum, with the 530s being plastic. So, what should a '95 540/6 have for a TB elbow?

The plastic one on mine is nearly impossible to fit, I had to lube it up, then work it over the rubber gasket on the TB with a screwdriver. If I tighten the hose clamp too much, it pops off, so basically it doesn't fit worth a damn.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

I would guess the rubber gasket is worn. you shouldnt put any kind of lube on it because it may pop off when you tighten the clamp...(LOL).

It might be possible the plastic shrunk but I doubt it.

Did you loosen the other side of the elbow to make it workable? Mine popped off on the lower side and took a while to figure out the leak. Dry the lube off and try again with the thing real loose, tighten the engine side first.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    On a past thread when I expressed the frustration that I had getting my plastic TB elbow to go back onto my TB, Jeff (Regal) suggested that it may be the wrong elbow, as he thought all the 540 elbows were aluminum, with the 530s being plastic. So, what should a '95 540/6 have for a TB elbow?

The plastic one on mine is nearly impossible to fit, I had to lube it up, then work it over the rubber gasket on the TB with a screwdriver. If I tighten the hose clamp too much, it pops off, so basically it doesn't fit worth a damn.
    They're all rubber, but you could possibly have the wrong part.

540i elbow (part description is actually "RUBBER BOOT"): 13 71 1 747 995
    530i elbow (same part description as the 540i piece): 13 71 1 747 994

A mix-up could easily happen with the part numbers being so close. I've no idea if the boots and throttle bodies are a different diameter. Did you make sure to pull off the old rubber seal from the throttle body (the new boot should have come with a new one for both the throttle body and the idle control valve.

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

I wasn't replacing it, I found that it was partially off when I was looking over my engine after purchasing the car. I ended up taking it loose at both ends so I could manipulate it over the TB, then carefully pivoting it around to connect to the AFM. I know that lubricating it isn't ideal, but without it there was no way in hell it would have gone on. I'll check the PNs next time I'm in there, it's on so I'm not messing with it unless it's wrong.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

I wasn't replacing it, I found that it was partially off when I was looking over my engine after purchasing the car. I ended up taking it loose at both ends so I could manipulate it over the TB, then carefully pivoting it around to connect to the AFM. I know that lubricating it isn't ideal, but without it there was no way in hell it would have gone on. I'll check the PNs next time I'm in there, it's on so I'm not messing with it unless it's wrong.
    Ah. Strangeness!

My new boot took a little bit to get over the throttle body, but nothing near needing lubrication.

dude your car looks badass with those rims
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Throttle body elbow on my 94 540i M60 is aliminium.

Gary

Mine's plastic on a '95 540 (10/94 build date)
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Quote Originally Posted by 540iT
    Throttle body elbow on my 94 540i M60 is aliminium.

Gary
    Any chance we could get a picture? BMW lists only one part number for these boots. I'd like to see the aluminum one

Default I guess you didn't read the previous post over this, the ones that have asc+t use the

aluminum elbow connected to a rubber boot, the ones without use a rubber/plastic boot elbow assy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Any chance we could get a picture? BMW lists only one part number for these boots. I'd like to see the aluminum one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast