GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Faulty Nikasil Engine Finally Replaced!! But now....

Default Faulty Nikasil Engine Finally Replaced!! But now....

What an ordeal! As some of you know I posted a couple threads a while back regarding a Nikasil engine failure that I experienced. Well that problem has FINALLY been solved! I was able to get a replacement Alusil engine popped into the car last friday, and I was back up and running! So I thought.... A few days after having the car back, and putting about 500 miles on it, I lost acceraltion power, and started to get that dreaded horrible idle. I took back to the shop, VAC Motorsports here in Philly, and was informed that I had a front air intake leak and that my o2 sensors were bad. Come to find out later that the dealer I purchased the car from, an absolute crook Mercerville Autos, removed the check engine light bulb from the instrument cluster. So I figured, while I had the car at the shop, to save myself some time, I'll have them replace the bulb... After removing the steering wheel, airbag, cluster, replacing bulb, putting it all back together, I was informed that there seems to be some sort of problem with my horn, as it does not honk anymore.... However, "It's a common grounding issue with 530's". Any suggestions on how to remediate this problem?! If I remove the airbag to fix the horn, I will need a reset tool, correct?
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

I dont know how to fix the grounding issue, but it is my understanding that as long as the battery is disconnected before you take the airbag out, you will not need a reset tool.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default You don't need a reset tool as long as you disconnect the battery and wait for

for 30 minutes or so to allow the system to drain completely... The shop may have tightened the bolts incorrectly and gotten the airbag not centered correctly, this will cause it to be very hard to get the horn to operate or it won't operate at all... Here's the bulletin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by saj3n
    What an ordeal! As some of you know I posted a couple threads a while back regarding a Nikasil engine failure that I experienced. Well that problem has FINALLY been solved! I was able to get a replacement Alusil engine popped into the car last friday, and I was back up and running! So I thought.... A few days after having the car back, and putting about 500 miles on it, I lost acceraltion power, and started to get that dreaded horrible idle. I took back to the shop, VAC Motorsports here in Philly, and was informed that I had a front air intake leak and that my o2 sensors were bad. Come to find out later that the dealer I purchased the car from, an absolute crook Mercerville Autos, removed the check engine light bulb from the instrument cluster. So I figured, while I had the car at the shop, to save myself some time, I'll have them replace the bulb... After removing the steering wheel, airbag, cluster, replacing bulb, putting it all back together, I was informed that there seems to be some sort of problem with my horn, as it does not honk anymore.... However, "It's a common grounding issue with 530's". Any suggestions on how to remediate this problem?! If I remove the airbag to fix the horn, I will need a reset tool, correct?

hmmm .. i guess theres a reason you posted this twice, once at 1.12pm witha "WOW" and again here at 1.31pm ..hmmm
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Did the shop you mentioned sell you the motor/install it?

best, whit

givin away the Nik block? I can arrange a good burial...serious if you want to off it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default i could use a cylinder head for on my desk at work........

i can place it next to my intake tube & my plastic orange cone award for most improved from the last ultimate driving experience i went to.
    tim s.

Default The shop did...

Quote Originally Posted by tim s
    i can place it next to my intake tube & my plastic orange cone award for most improved from the last ultimate driving experience i went to.
    tim s.

..sell and install the engine. I went to a few other shops prior, this one was priced in the middle of the other 2, but I have heard great things about them.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Quote Originally Posted by saj3n
    ..sell and install the engine. I went to a few other shops prior, this one was priced in the middle of the other 2, but I have heard great things about them.
    VAC is nothing but the best. It's sort of a Philly thing, not too many people nationally even know of them.