GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye 525...

Default Goodbye 525...

The time has come. With what I've spent on this car in the 6 months I've owned it, and now a leaking heater core and power steering, as a 19y/o law student I just can't afford to keep it. I know whatever cheap reliable car I replace it with just won't be close to the drive I got in the e34. It's going to be an emotional parting, but all good things must come to an end, thanks for all your help guys.

Dan

Default Who needs heat and power steering anyway???....

Come on Dan, hang in there! Although I absolutely do sympathise with how you feel. These cars are great, but they do nickle and dime you into dispare sometimes. Maybe you could get a cheepo daily driver to just get around in and work on the E34 until it's PERFECT!

Anyway, I hope you the best, and visit us from time to time!
    Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Default Sorry to here that it's come to this

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    The time has come. With what I've spent on this car in the 6 months I've owned it, and now a leaking heater core and power steering, as a 19y/o law student I just can't afford to keep it. I know whatever cheap reliable car I replace it with just won't be close to the drive I got in the e34. It's going to be an emotional parting, but all good things must come to an end, thanks for all your help guys.

Dan
    Any fellow New Zealanders that are Mechanically inclinded to assist you with this heater core problem Dan? Although I haven't had the privelidge to have replaced my own , research indicates that the parts are not that pricey yet it's the labor that will drain finances quickly.It is labor intensive and with a co-worker it becomes more enjoyable and everybody learns.Hope all goes well for you and you reconsider keeping it. Don't think as much of how you will miss your E34 as how much your e34 will miss you!They do become part of the family don't they?
    Mike

mikey535im...........1991 535im , Schwarz , H&R/Boge gas ,17" Style 10's , EAT Chipped :eek: Colorful Colorado

Default that's why i've

got a list 2 typed pages long of what i hope to accomplish during spring break week and the week i get off before summer semester starts.....most is cosmetic, some other things like thrust arm bushings, which just broke, are more pressing. here is a HC replacement procedure, perhaps you can get the cheapest core you can and do the work yourself

http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/heater.htm

i think that once i clear the list, stuff will stop breaking. im hoping to be able to reinstall the motor and replace hoses, or make sure enginewise everything's allright in-situ if i can't get the lift...methinks once the hose and core are fixed, it will at least be 4 or 5 months before something else breaks...something to think about if resale values in your area are low.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default You will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ

Dan

I did the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, center tie rod, that other rod thing that goes from the center tie rod to the wheel, inspection II and brake fluid. Then I thought I'd be sweet for a while. Then the a/c went out just before summer so I had that redone, then I got a new battery to stop trans program. It went great for three months, now the power steering gearbox is leaking and so is the heater core, brake pads are thin, along with a mysterious rise in fuel consumption. I just don't need these problems. I'm flat broke and trying to get through law school with my credit rating intact.

I'm a student, I live on campus. All I need is a cheepo daily driver. When I graduate I'll buy another bmw, but until then I'll just live with something reliable and economical. I won't know myself in a car that doesn't go from 0-100 in 1 tank of gas

Default get a newer bimmer that was better taken care of

I understand the frustration and spent money and time...it sucks at the worst times. I got lucky with mine and havent spent over 1500 since June last year, thats including tires. Some people get lemons some get lemonaid, I paid 8250 for mine but it does have the Nikasil enhancement which according to everyone is not worth squat. If you do move on, come visit us once in a while.

Wish you the best in your career!

Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Now you're scaring me!!! (I've owned my E34 for 3 months now, have spent US$600 on repairs... power steering & Insp 2) :o

Oh no... I can see my bank account going lower and lower... hahahaha... BMW estimated my suspension repairs to be another US$600 (bushings, tie rods, dampers, front shocks, steering coupling, and my secondary clutch)

I might end up living in my car!!!! HAHAHAHA!

Oh well... I hope I can survive this! hehehehe

Default something like this is supposed to get better mileage

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast