GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Barrel & KEY NUMBER

Default Ignition Barrel & KEY NUMBER

Guys/Gals,

I have suffered from the sticking ignition barrel this evening. After teaching the car some new English phrases and applying some gentle persusion with a large adjusting-hammer I finally have the ignition barrel out.

My question is: Where is the key number for the barrel?
    Is it the 6-figure number cast on the side of the ignition barrel body? If not, do you know where the key number is located in the car? I don't have the original master key, nor is the key number written in any of the paperwork I possess.

I have heard that the boot lock has the number on it. Please confirm this is true before I strip it out.

Thanks for any assistance

Omega

have you called your local BMW dealer's parts department yet? I thought that the keys were given out according to the car's VIN...if I'm correct...that's the only number you need to give them (the last 7 digits will usually suffice).

Or I could be totally wrong...you can still give 'em a call if no one else responds to this post.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    have you called your local BMW dealer's parts department yet? I thought that the keys were given out according to the car's VIN...if I'm correct...that's the only number you need to give them (the last 7 digits will usually suffice).

Or I could be totally wrong...you can still give 'em a call if no one else responds to this post.
    Qsilver's right. Call your local dealer with the VIN (be sure to take your registartion or some other method for proving ownership with you) and they should make you a new car.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    proving ownership with you) and they should make you a new car.
    -ashley
    I'm gonna have to try this one!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    LOL! Oops, guess that final "car" was supposed to be "key".

Reckon that was a good indication that I'm not looking forward to redoing my gasket tonight (the high temp here was 63 @ 9am) in the driveway.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

On all locks (ignition, door, glovebox, trunk) there is a serial code that can be used to produce keys, and in almost all cases the VIN can also be used.

Exception - The stealer had keys made for my E24 3 times because they did not match. Reason was that at some point a PO had all the locks replaced w/ new keys and the "serial" was not updated for the VIN. There are many speculative reasons why this was done. Thankfully the E24 blank can be cut anywhere. An E34 blank can only be cut by specially lasers. New BMW's forget it, cant be done by anyone but the stealer.

Next time your at the stealer, look at the service techs desk and you'll see this funny lookin device, looks like a dock for a device. Its actually used to program the new chip'd keys.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    "be sure to take your registartion or some other method for proving ownership with you) and they should make you a new car."

Me too!!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

what about me then? I had the entire steering wheel assembly and lock barrel changed...now i have a key from a totally different car. How would i get another key if i needed it?

Quote Originally Posted by romus
    what about me then? I had the entire steering wheel assembly and lock barrel changed...now i have a key from a totally different car. How would i get another key if i needed it?
    If the key code was not documented when the column was changed, you'll have to get the code off the lock cyl barrel. Unless you have the VIN of the car the column came out of, and even then you will probably have trouble convincing the BMW dealer that you are the owner of the car that the column came from (unless it was your car......).

Bret.

The assembly came from the wrecker. I have a number off the bottom of the assembly, but not the VIN of the actual car, no. So you think that number alone would be sufficient?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast