GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front suspension "STICKING"

Default Front suspension "STICKING"

OK guys, I just finished rebuilding my engine (520i 1990 manual) and the car is purring again. Apart from the need for a head adjustment we are doing great. I also had my the suspension fully rebuilt but have a weird issue. I changed everything on the front and rear apart fom the front shock upper mounts these were OK. I also swapped in a used power steering pump in a much better condition than mine. The front suspension has three problems now:
    1- The car with engine not running is extremely hard to steer, in the past it was easy to steer without the power steering
    2- When I drive around the steering wheel won't move back to its original position, I mean when I turn a sharp turn and let go of the steering wheel it should rotate back to straight wheels, it doesn't instead it "STICKS" and just turns back a little bit, I have to turn it back myself
    3- When driving as usual if I turn 10-15 degrees with the wheel the car sticks to this heading and does not adjust iteslf to straight ahead position.

I have a bad feeling about this, I used all Meyle parts and Sachs shocks all as per the original part # supposidly. Please advise me with the details

Quote Originally Posted by aabdelhamid
    OK guys, I just finished rebuilding my engine (520i 1990 manual) and the car is purring again. Apart from the need for a head adjustment we are doing great. I also had my the suspension fully rebuilt but have a weird issue. I changed everything on the front and rear apart fom the front shock upper mounts these were OK. I also swapped in a used power steering pump in a much better condition than mine. The front suspension has three problems now:
    1- The car with engine not running is extremely hard to steer, in the past it was easy to steer without the power steering
    2- When I drive around the steering wheel won't move back to its original position, I mean when I turn a sharp turn and let go of the steering wheel it should rotate back to straight wheels, it doesn't instead it "STICKS" and just turns back a little bit, I have to turn it back myself
    3- When driving as usual if I turn 10-15 degrees with the wheel the car sticks to this heading and does not adjust iteslf to straight ahead position.

I have a bad feeling about this, I used all Meyle parts and Sachs shocks all as per the original part # supposidly. Please advise me with the details
    It doesn't sound like your suspension is to blame, but rather the PS pump.

1. That's normal. If you could easily turn the wheel with the engine off [and car not moving] something was screwy.

Numbers 2 & 3 sound like a crappy pump to me.
    It seems like you took out a pump with one set of problems and put in a pump with a whole other set of problems.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

did you ever mess with the steering box adjustment nut?

other than that i agree with Acyre about the pump...I think there is a screen inside the pump that can clog but dont think it's a servicable part.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default More informattion needed

Correct me if I'm wrong, the internal screen if clogged should cause the pump to run noisily, mine is super smooth man and it does not make any unusual noise. There is something else wrong.

If you didn't adjust the steering box, then it sounds like wrong toe-in. Who aligned the front end after swapping all those parts?

Paul Shovestul

.....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

You need front alignment. I guarantee it will fix your problem!. Been there done that!. (1) is normal, maybe your tire pressure before was higher than usual!.

Default How to align toe-in

Can someone please tell me what do I need to do to align the front end properly, it seems like the issue in this venue exactly and I need to know exactly what to do. I aligned the wheels twice but in vain, the tyres do not squeek now but still the car is miss-driving

Can someone please tell me what do I need to do to align the front end properly, it seems like the issue in this venue exactly and I need to know exactly what to do. I aligned the wheels twice but in vain, the tyres do not squeek now but still the car is miss-driving
    I don't think you can properly do an alignment on your own. Take it in somewhere man ... most places that do oil changes and tires usually can do your alignment.

you will have to take it in to a shop, if you would have replaced stuff in a different manner it would be close but your most likely beyond that threshold

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Alignement for sure; if still no good, check steering box adjustment. I can simulate this behaviour by tightening the box up too far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast