GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing OBC

Default Installing OBC

I just purchased a 92 525i that came with the factory clock/date/temp digital display. I'd like to install the OBC. I've purchased a used OBC. In preparing for the installation, I've done the following: removed the radio, removed the clock. I can see that the clock and the OBC are a different size, so I am required to change the entire faceplate. I've looked through the Bentley manual, but it's not very descriptive on R/R the faceplate. Does anyone have first hand experience on doing this??

Thanks!!

Umm... I always thought they were the same size... Ive seen some basic 325 consoles and the 325s that have the OBC have the same exact dimensions so i am not really sure if the 5-series is the same way. I know that BMW wouldnt make differnt faceplates in order to make a downgraded dash. It would be more expensive to make different faceplates and no car company woud do that. So i am sure you should be able to put the OBC in if the plug fits it.

PS - the stock consile in most BMWs and the OBC is usually about the same size... Is it the same size in your case? I have a 91 and i believe it is thesame as the basic clock in the 5-series...
    Last edited by ArtemLepilov; 10-23-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE

Damn, sorry - i was wrong, you do neeed a frame that holds an OBC...

-Artem

(I need to look on the e34net more )

Although the width of the 2 units are the same size, the OBC is about twice the depth. I've looked at the link http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/OBC.htm, but this is for a slightly different model. The radio and OBC are on the opposite sides. I tried removing the faceplate, and ran into questions, so I thought I'd post this question.

Quote Originally Posted by crowegreg
    Although the width of the 2 units are the same size, the OBC is about twice the depth. I've looked at the link http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/OBC.htm, but this is for a slightly different model. The radio and OBC are on the opposite sides. I tried removing the faceplate, and ran into questions, so I thought I'd post this question.
    I never noticed it byt that picture on bmwe34.net has the obc to the left of the radio, mine is on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by crowegreg
    Just saw off the back side of the holder so that the OBC can fit in, it serves no real purpose after all. That's what I did, and everything still works perfectly.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I never noticed it byt that picture on bmwe34.net has the obc to the left of the radio, mine is on the right.
    That's because your car has the steering wheel on the wrong side Mine is on the right side and my OBC is in the same place as the one in the picture.

All the best

Bob

You will need to break the back plate off. I used a soldering iron to make a clean cut. It's plastic and burns fairly easily. My car came equiped with only clock/temperature read out so one of the pins didn't have +12v. I took the obc unit apart to make a jump for one of the pins have +12v, otherwise its not going to start.

I used the link and provided, and for the most part everything was correct. I've ordered the new faceplate from the local BMW dealer, and then I'll be able to complete the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast