GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long & thoughtful discussion of 525 vs 535

Default Long & thoughtful discussion of 525 vs 535

Stumbled across this in the achives. As it is in the old format (Dec 2004), I can't move it to the archives as is. Best I can do it provide a link to it.

It is a very interesting discussion mostly about the M50 vs M30 focusing on horsepower and torque. Comparisons to other engines sprinkle the discussion as well as considerations of other reasons Why Americans Love 535s. This thread was originally started by Interceptor and you will see many other names you recognize.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/printth...7&page=1&pp=40

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

I remember that pissing match. Lots of names there that I don't see too much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Stumbled across this in the achives. As it is in the old format (Dec 2004), I can't move it to the archives as is. Best I can do it provide a link to it.

It is a very interesting discussion mostly about the M50 vs M30 focusing on horsepower and torque. Comparisons to other engines sprinkle the discussion as well as considerations of other reasons Why Americans Love 535s. This thread was originally started by Interceptor and you will see many other names you recognize.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/printth...7&page=1&pp=40

Jon nailed it with his reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Originally Posted by Jon K
    I'd take an M50 over an M30 anyday. MAF vs AFM, timing chain, no valve jobs... less pinging tendencies, 24v, dual cam, i dunno, BMW used a whole liter less of displacement and the cars compete. If the M50 were 3.5L, well, it'd be a S52

Gayle, the thread wasn't originally in the old format. The "new" board has been around since...uh...December 2003. It appears that it was archived in a non-moveable format, though.

Anyway, this thread is a can of worms. I think Bill, Winfred, and George (who's sadly no longer around to share his acute, if not somewhat acerbic commentary) spoke the truth of it.

I didn't respond to the thread when it was current because I thought the subject and tone weren't really constructive to the inclusive principle, present on all sorts of levels, of .info.

best, whit

I thought all the various opinions were interesting and it appeared more of a discussion that normally occurs here. I considered it a spirited debate rather than a pissing contest or a can of worms. My acute grasp of the obvious tells me that others don't agree.

So I take it that you do not consider this appropriate for the archives? Not because it in technically inaccurate but because of the tone? I am puzzled at the subject not being considered constructive as I remember several threads in which people have considered buying one car over another, e.g. a 540 compared to a 525, and wanted input as to the differences. Does the tone outweigh the information? I guess I just have a high tolerance for conflict.
    Last edited by Gayle; 10-22-2005 at 01:26 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

WHOA,

You gotta keep that s**t, regardless of tone. That f**king thread was like education in a box for me, just add water. I'm with Gayle on this one. If that kind of conversation happens here--I'll be a member for life!

(my french is over the top on this one, but in this case, it's discerning.)

A bit like the thread discussing digital cameras! canon v nikon. SU v stongberg etc etc. we will normally support what we have, human nature I guess. BTW I have m50 525i.
    regards fred

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    I didn't respond to the thread when it was current because I thought the subject and tone weren't really constructive to the inclusive principle, present on all sorts of levels, of .info.
    If you're talking of my original post/question I have to disagree. My post was a bit provocative, but I was also genuinely interested in what I asked. Since the culture and ways of thinking are drastically different in the US than they are here in Europe, I asked this question on a mostly-US board in hope to get some answers that would satisfy my curiosity.

On the other hand, I didn't know that it will be such an inflamatory issue. Yes, there were some replies that got out of hand, but I think many of us learned a lot of new and interesting stuff, and that's what matters the most.

Also, that thread maybe wasn't very interesting to you because you already knew (mostly) everyhing about the subject - to me, and many others it was a great thread packed with new and interesting info.

Anyway, it's getting a bit boring without someone stirring things up, like UKM5 did - I kinda miss him
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Does the tone outweigh the information? I guess I just have a high tolerance for conflict.
    No, you're perfectly fine. It just seems that some members are more touchy than the others, which is normal in a community of this size.

From another (maybe a bit sexist?) point of view, it's interesting how a woman has higher tolerance for conflict than some male members of this board.

Anyway, I fully agree with someone who said you are breathe of fresh air on this board - keep up the good work!
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    No, you're perfectly fine. It just seems that some members are more touchy than the others, which is normal in a community of this size.

From another (maybe a bit sexist?) point of view, it's interesting how a woman has higher tolerance for conflict than some male members of this board.

Anyway, I fully agree with someone who said you are breathe of fresh air on this board - keep up the good work!
    I know. Its pretty sad. I guess when it comes to knowledge a man has to know more. I experience first hand the "pissing match" that girls go through over petty stuff, but and its almost as pathetic as when a man thinks he knows what he's talking about when he doesn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast