GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Rear Headrests

Default Electric Rear Headrests

My car doesn't have rear headrests. I happened to ride in my car's rear seat for part of a road trip, and I can understand why rear headrests are nice.

I've looked at the instructions for installing the manual ones, but I thought electric ones would be nice to match the electric ones in the front. So, I'm think about pulling a set of electric ones out of an E32.

I've never seen a set of electric ones in a 540i. Does anyone know what the up/down controls look like and where they would be installed? Is the electric harness already set up for electric rear headrests?

Has anyone done this before? I can reverse-engineer this, but if someone's already done this I'd certainly appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge
    My car doesn't have rear headrests. I happened to ride in my car's rear seat for part of a road trip, and I can understand why rear headrests are nice.

I've looked at the instructions for installing the manual ones, but I thought electric ones would be nice to match the electric ones in the front. So, I'm think about pulling a set of electric ones out of an E32.

I've never seen a set of electric ones in a 540i. Does anyone know what the up/down controls look like and where they would be installed? Is the electric harness already set up for electric rear headrests?

Has anyone done this before? I can reverse-engineer this, but if someone's already done this I'd certainly appreciate the input!
    I doubt the wiring is already there.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Too bad. It would have saved me some work. I was hoping the wiring was there since the ETK shows the electrics as an option on the 540i.

Too bad. It would have saved me some work. I was hoping the wiring was there since the ETK shows the electrics as an option on the 540i.
    I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

The electrics are modular, so the only issue is removing the harness from the parts car, and then adapting it to add E34 controls. I've never seen the electric ones installed on an E34; I assume that the buttons live in the blanks next to where the rear seat heater buttons would go, versus on the side of the seat. There are a bunch of renditions of that plate, so start calling FAB and other european junk yards if you're seriously thinking about this. Personally, I think it's a little overkill. Doing rear heated seats might be a more worthwhile investment for rear passenger comfort -- they can adjust their own head rests

best, whit

Default I believe the switch.......

in the E32 7er is located at the outside front curve of the bench....along with other electric rear seat conrols. Not sure you can get it there on the E34

the etk shows a cable set for heated rear seats and or elec headrests,couldnt really see where the switches went.Cant post a pic cos I cant access my gallery
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Button location

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    The electrics are modular, so the only issue is removing the harness from the parts car, and then adapting it to add E34 controls. I've never seen the electric ones installed on an E34; I assume that the buttons live in the blanks next to where the rear seat heater buttons would go, versus on the side of the seat. There are a bunch of renditions of that plate, so start calling FAB and other european junk yards if you're seriously thinking about this. Personally, I think it's a little overkill. Doing rear heated seats might be a more worthwhile investment for rear passenger comfort -- they can adjust their own head rests

best, whit
    Hmmmm... there's something else the car doesn't have - rear seat heaters. I forgot all about that. Maybe after the headrests
    Where would the rear seat heater buttons go (I don't have them on my car)?

Hmmmm... there's something else the car doesn't have - rear seat heaters. I forgot all about that. Maybe after the headrests
    Where would the rear seat heater buttons go (I don't have them on my car)?

No, you don't have them on your car because no US spec model came with them. It's a selective european thing, if that. In the rear of the center console is a black plastic plate, below the center vent Sometimes it has a cigarette lighter in it (early cars), sometimes it doesn't (later cars). This is the plate I spoke of in my previous post.

best, whit

it sounds like you are looking to torture yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast