GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: rear clunk...

Default rear clunk...

Ok well i first suspected the rear axle mounts or those soda can bushings but i jacked up the car and couln't seem to get them to clunk or even move. i have a strange clunk when i hit kickdown while driving. im pirtty shure its in the rear end because while creeping backwords in reverse and then shifting into drive there is that same clunk noise in the back. any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    Ok well i first suspected the rear axle mounts or those soda can bushings but i jacked up the car and couln't seem to get them to clunk or even move. i have a strange clunk when i hit kickdown while driving. im pirtty shure its in the rear end because while creeping backwords in reverse and then shifting into drive there is that same clunk noise in the back. any advice?

Could be driveshaft related. Get a hand on it right in front of the diff input flange (reach up there) and wiggle it...see how much play is in the universal. Mine's in need of replacement, and it creaks sometimes. Sounds like a rearend noise because of the acoustics, I guess.

best, whit

Maybe your springs? My car did that too from one rear corner (cluck when shifting into drive/reverse as the car settled on its springs), after I had jacked up the rear one fine day. Solved its merry self the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Traian
    Maybe your springs? My car did that too from one rear corner (cluck when shifting into drive/reverse as the car settled on its springs), after I had jacked up the rear one fine day. Solved its merry self the next day.
    Also a good idea. Springs/spring pads/mounts could be messed up and making noise -- not uncommon on these cars.

best, whit