GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Chip out there, whats ur opinion?

Default Best Chip out there, whats ur opinion?

Hey there im thinkin about buying a chip for my 89 535i.

any ideas ??? ive seen alot of people sporting the JC ship.

however there could be many i am unaware of

whats your opinion?

J.McWatters
    Barrie ON Canada (just above Toronto)
    1989 535i

I am also interested in reading a discussion debating the pros/cons of performance chips. I have heard that the EAT CHIP and the DINAN CHIP are two possible performance chip upgrades. I have not heard much about the pros and cons of each or if there are alternative chips to these. I am aware that this forum provides a direct link to purchase the EAT CHIP and that Mark D'Sylva (maker and seller of the EAT CHIP) frequents this forum and sometimes offers discounts for group buys.

I do have some questions about the performance chips before I go ahead and purchase it. If we're lucky Mark or somoene else just as knowledgeable will read this thread and answer our questions.

1. Where is improved performance felt most? (at what RPM, at what speeds, etc.)
    2. How does the chip affect torque, if any. Any way to compensate for this?
    3. What is the average HP gained?
    4. Does this provide better fuel consumption?
    5. Do we have to use higher octane?
    6. Do we have to reset anything (that is affected/controlled by the DME)?
    7. Why EAT over other chips (Dinan, etc.)?
    8. Will this chip affect emissions and State inspection tests?
    9. How long does someone have to drive with the chip installed before any real difference is felt?
    10. What type of driver tends to benefit most?
    11. Can the chip improve the performance of a Touring Edition?
    12. What price can be offered for group buy?

Call Mark D!. Mr McW needs the EAT chip!. Feed 'em please.

here's a link to info about the JC (Jim Conforti chip)...most of the info can be extrapolated to the EAT chip as well.

Yes, you will need to use fuel w/91 AKI rating. You can see on the chart where you will "feel" the peak HP & torque. (take into consideration that this web page may have been intiated before the EAT chip was available).

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/conf...ance-chips.htm

Here's some info I found by going to Google and typing "Mark Dysilva EAT chip"...there were more links to discussions outside of bimmer.info forums that you may find interesting and illuminating:

* http://www.bavariantuning.com/eat_chip_test.php
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Default I just chipped my Touring.........

Quote Originally Posted by nyc525iTe34
    1. Where is improved performance felt most? (at what RPM, at what speeds, etc.)
    2. How does the chip affect torque, if any. Any way to compensate for this?
    3. What is the average HP gained?
    4. Does this provide better fuel consumption?
    5. Do we have to use higher octane?
    6. Do we have to reset anything (that is affected/controlled by the DME)?
    7. Why EAT over other chips (Dinan, etc.)?
    8. Will this chip affect emissions and State inspection tests?
    9. How long does someone have to drive with the chip installed before any real difference is felt?
    10. What type of driver tends to benefit most?
    11. Can the chip improve the performance of a Touring Edition?
    12. What price can be offered for group buy?
    I just bought one of those "performance" chips off ebay for $25. I thought for that much money why not give it a shot. Got it installed in my spare ECU and put it in the Touring and was pleasantly suprised. Smoother at idle and certainly more power/torque than stock. I run super anyway so that's not an issue. I use a Conforti chip in my 540i and I think the changes were about the same except I don't get a fuel smell on cold startup like with the Conforti chip. The idle is slightly lower at the moment with the new chip but I intend to drive it a few days before final judgement since I think the ECU is adaptive to some degree and the idle level might change. So far it's a good $25 investment.

Paul

Default i have an EAT................

i have a dinan in my 1987 325e & it was an obvious difference, but i installed an EAT in my 95 540i/a & it made a slight difference, the engine feels smoother.
    my nephew bought a dinan for his 1995 m3 & had problems with it dinoing less power at the wheels than with a stock chip. dinan told him it was his after market exhaust system. he ended up paying a pro tuner $650.00 to custom tune a chip to his car & gained a whole 7hp over the stock chip.
    yes i think he's nuts also.
    tim s.

Default EAT for my 95 525i

Buy the EAT chip. It is the best improvement I have seen in my car. Helps all aspect of daily driving. smoother, peppier on low end and gas mileage is at least the same as before.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s
    i have a dinan in my 1987 325e & it was an obvious difference, but i installed an EAT in my 95 540i/a & it made a slight difference, the engine feels smoother.
    my nephew bought a dinan for his 1995 m3 & had problems with it dinoing less power at the wheels than with a stock chip. dinan told him it was his after market exhaust system. he ended up paying a pro tuner $650.00 to custom tune a chip to his car & gained a whole 7hp over the stock chip.
    yes i think he's nuts also.
    tim s.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    I just bought one of those "performance" chips off ebay for $25. I thought for that much money why not give it a shot. Got it installed in my spare ECU and put it in the Touring and was pleasantly suprised. Smoother at idle and certainly more power/torque than stock. I run super anyway so that's not an issue. I use a Conforti chip in my 540i and I think the changes were about the same except I don't get a fuel smell on cold startup like with the Conforti chip. The idle is slightly lower at the moment with the new chip but I intend to drive it a few days before final judgement since I think the ECU is adaptive to some degree and the idle level might change. So far it's a good $25 investment.

Paul
    $25 bucks? What kind of knockoff are we talking about here? Heh.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Doesn't really matter but after purchasing all the brand name chips over the years inluding TMS. Bavauto, Conforti, Dinan, and UUC Motorwerks, the only one I kept because it actually worked too good to pull out was the UUC Motorwerks. This "Panther" chip is really pretty nice and for $25 is hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7993114488

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    Doesn't really matter but after purchasing all the brand name chips over the years inluding TMS. Bavauto, Conforti, Dinan, and UUC Motorwerks, the only one I kept because it actually worked too good to pull out was the UUC Motorwerks. This "Panther" chip is really pretty nice and for $25 is hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7993114488

Paul

I was in the market for a chip when I came accross this post. I saw the e-bay chips many times but thought what can a 25-40 dollar chip realy do. Well after reading this I bought one on e-bay for about $40 shipped. I got the chp yesterday, and installed it, after having to straighten out the pins because the packaging was almost non existant. Anyway I got it in the car. Reconnected the battery and started the car. At first the idle jumped to 2k and apparently the computer wasn't used to the code but came back down and is actually below what the stock chip was, idles nicely though. Driving the car around town I didn't notice any real difference, not the low end the EAT chip is supposed to provide. I did however notice a higher (4000+) RPM surge, enough to make me think, damn! Anyway, I though these are some interesting alternatives to the $250 chips so I wanted to post some feedback.
    Here is the ebayer I got my chip from - x_gen_performance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast