GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High speed downforce

Default High speed downforce

Has anyone done any aerodynamic modifications to their cars? On mine the steering becomes all light, the front end rises and the car becomes a little twitchier than I'd like at really high speeds. I saw some E34 with subtle little trunk spoilers that look very tasty, but I wouldn't like to put one on unless it actually gave me some more downforce (and I figure, I need it on the front, not the rear).

Unless the spoiler is above the roofline, it generally wont do anything ... besides you got it all wrong. You are looking at rear spoilers, when you need downforce on the front.

And how often do you go that fast to need it ?

Mine stays pretty stable, even up a steep uneven grade at 95mph, havent taken it over 95 though. A mustang '86 5.0l lx takes the hill at 95 as well, so its not bad for a larger luxury car .
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Traian
    Has anyone done any aerodynamic modifications to their cars? On mine the steering becomes all light, the front end rises and the car becomes a little twitchier than I'd like at really high speeds. I saw some E34 with subtle little trunk spoilers that look very tasty, but I wouldn't like to put one on unless it actually gave me some more downforce (and I figure, I need it on the front, not the rear).
    I've never had that experience with mine.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Also, keep in mind that the automatic 535i has a top speed of 144mph, a 540i is probably capable of even higher speeds. traian could be going faster than most of us to on a daily basis.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Also, keep in mind that the automatic 535i has a top speed of 144mph, a 540i is probably capable of even higher speeds. traian could be going faster than most of us to on a daily basis.
    Could be!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

subtle aero = mtech
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Traian
    540i brake ducts + subtle tailgate spoiler = might help a bit. Then put in a set of lowering springs and stiffer shocks. Low profile 17" tyres aren't a bad idea either.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

at what speed are we talking about. mine drifts a little bit at 200km/ph +.

I've had my 535i to 130mph at which speed it feels firmly planted. I do not have any areodynamic mods but I do have Bilstein sports and Eibach springs running on 235s up front and 255s in the rear. I also have had my tie rods replaced and my steering tightened. I'm betting you need better suspension, not areodynamic mods.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast