GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not to use cheap parts: FCP Groton Center Link

Default Why not to use cheap parts: FCP Groton Center Link

Along with Jeff Bidoli's car, Fritz inadvertantly became a lab rat for FCP Groton's supsension offerings. I installed the complete package before they'd even considered selling it as such on eBay -- thrust and control arms (thrust rods with 750 bushings), complete steering links, and swaybar links.

I bought all of this stuff before I knew about BMA, dealership pricing, or really anything about working on cars -- Fritz was towed to my buddy's garage, I jacked it up and looked underneath, saw a bunch of parts that looked really bad, got on Bruno's site and figured out what all of that "stuff" was, and indiscriminantly started ordering things. I was also trying to save as much money as possible, so I spent as little as possible wherever I could. Buying from FCP was a no brainer at the time, although their customer service was shitty.

Now, it's all catching up to me. I've been diagnosing a weird, off and on shimmy for a few weeks. At first, I attributed it to my tires. I now retract my comments on the 712s as being a bad tire, because I don't know if they're the cause of the problem, but they are noisy. Still, I put the car up on the rack and went over it. The idler arm had a lot of play in it and I attributed it to the idler bushing (also an FCP part) -- tightening the bolt/nut relieved the shimmy for about a week. It came back this morning, so the car went back up in the air tonight. The problem is the center link. The bushing at the idler arm/center link point exhibits tremendous play after about 10k (less than a year) of use, requiring replacement of the center link itself:

This part cost me $55 on 11/02/04. It is definitively not BMW OEM. It was manufactured by Karlyn/TRW/OCAP or similar aftermarket producer. Assuming that the part just wore out, which is entirely likely given that OCAP suspensions consistently last 15k miles, I paid .0055 dollar per mile for its use.

The more alarming concern is that WorldPac (hence, BMA) and SSF (another indy distributor) appear to offer nothing but the same quality part -- Karlyn/TRW/OCAP. Confirm that what you're buying is actually BMW OEM, not some aftermarket garbage. Look for the BMWNA/dealer sticker on it, not the worldpac white with blue stripe. (EDIT: actually, I can't remember what the worldpac sticker looks like off the top of my head -- white with blue stripe could be the dealer sticker and I'm getting it confused ATM).

I have it on good faith that the dealer OEM part lasts at least 70k+ miles. While I don't know what my cost would have been last year, it's now $75. Assuming I get the minimum of 70k miles, I'll pay around .0010 dollar per mile for its use, or perhaps enjoy an improved ratio.

So, you be the judge; Me -- I'll be using OEM lemforder.

EDIT: late breaking news -- OEM is TRW, at least the bushings are stamped as such when the part comes from the dealer. The question remains -- what's on my car?!

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 10-25-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks Whit. I'll be using OEM Lemforder also.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

FARK...i thought trw was okay1?!?!?! dammit.

My suspension has almost 10k miles on it...I'll have a looksy. I have been experiencing some slight vibration at speed, which may be due to a bad alignment. I thought it was my wheel weights, but now I have mor eto narrow down.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

umm... is someone using the FCP groton upper thrust control arms that doesnt have any problems with them? Because I have them in right now, everything else is stock. Well I have the thrust arms that are FCP groton generic ones.. And some tie rods (but those probably arent going to break)

*Whit - you seemed to have a problem with the idler arm... what about the others?

-Artem

Josh, I don't know. The point of this is that, as some people have suggested, the steel and forging work can be the same (ie - copied), but that doesn't mean that the two critical parts in the assembly -- bushings and ball joints, but only bushings in this case -- are of OEM quality.

I also noticed play in the pitman arm bushing, but can't confirm that until I pull the center link off of the car. The tie rods and idler arm appear to be fine at the moment.

best, whit

The ads of Karlyn are a bit misleading with the German national colors and the flag. That guy emigrated to the US in 1949
    "The Art of German Engineering, Made in the USA"
    BREMI parts are electric/electronic parts
    http://www.karlynsti.com/

OCAP is an Italian company, also OEM supplier to:

AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS

· MASERATI (Italy)
    · LAMBORGHINI (Italy)
    · PIAGGIO (Italy)
    · SWISS LEM (Electric city car, Switzerland)
    · GIBSS Technologies (Leisure time vehicles, Uk)
    · FINN POWER (snowmobiles, Finland)

TRUCK AND LIGHT DUTY APPLICATIONS

· IVECO (Italy)
    · CESAB (Fork lift truck, Italy)
    · SNVI (Renault Industrial vehicles, France)
    · ALBION AUTOMOTIVE (Pick up and van Leyland and Daf, UK)

AGRICULTURAL AND HEAVY DUTY APPLICATIONS

· DANA GROUP (Italy, USA, Brasil, India)
    · MASSEY Ferguson (UK)
    · CASE NEW HOLLAND GROUP (Italy, Austria, France)
    · JOHN DEERE (USA)
    · LANDINI (Italy)
    · VOLVO Construction Equipment (Korea)
    · MERLO (Italy)
    · MANITOU (France)
    · ZF (Germany)
    · GRAZIANO Trasmissioni (Italy)

http://www.ocap.it/home.asp

TRW is also not a small supplier
    http://www.trw.com/home/main/0,,,FF.html

Maybe you just were unlucky, I don't know, never tried these products, just Meyle from Germany, and they are o.k. in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell

So, you be the judge; Me -- I'll be using OEM lemforder.
    Thats a pretty poor effort Whitt. 10,000 miles is nothing. Just a question on the center tie rod, I thought that the TRW and Lemforder ones from BMA where the same. This is what Patrick was telling me when I got the steering links a while ago. I don't have a copy of the e-mail anymore, but it was somethign along the lines of that the Lemforder item was the same as the TRW item. The Lemforder one was around us$30 more.

That sucks, thanks for the heads up before I do mine, I had been leaning towards the FCP package. Not worth saving a few dollars if it only lasts 10k.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Josh, I don't know. The point of this is that, as some people have suggested, the steel and forging work can be the same (ie - copied), but that doesn't mean that the two critical parts in the assembly -- bushings and ball joints, but only bushings in this case -- are of OEM quality.

I also noticed play in the pitman arm bushing, but can't confirm that until I pull the center link off of the car. The tie rods and idler arm appear to be fine at the moment.

best, whit
    Quality post Whit, this is really worth some analysis once you get the parts off the car. I hope you can get the time to post your thoughts later. Sure it could be a faulty part/bad luck, but I must say , despite what I've said about these parts in the past, I'm certainly inclined to agree on the strength of what you've put forward. It may be that the OEM bushings indeed ok, but I'm sure glad we're honing in on this. Damn I wish it were easier to spot bad joints than to pull them off and yank them round (and still be left guessing)

I just got a pair of those new $115 aluminium lower control arms and a pair of tie-rods assemblies from FCP Groton. (AutoHouseAz don't like shipping to Aus using USPS). I think they are Meyle, they 'look' ok. The rest is Hamburg Teknik and it seems OK looking, but the paint and zinc plating is definately 'thin' so I might just be painting these suckers. Can't tell any more till I get to wear them out as you have

I have to get new pitman arm bushing and centre rod too, I think I'll take you're advice and go Lemforder until we can confirm this is not caused by poor quality. Also got new bushes for the rear arms, dogbones, pitman arms and subframe mounts- none are Lemforder. I hope these aren't as shite as you seem to be sugeesting.

Its never worth doing anything twice if one can avoid it. Now you have me worried... Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Patrick also told me the Lemforder centerlinks were made by TRW. The only FCP I have is the thrust arms and control arms (replacement Bilstein too) that havnt been installed cause I blew out my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Thats a pretty poor effort Whitt. 10,000 miles is nothing. Just a question on the center tie rod, I thought that the TRW and Lemforder ones from BMA where the same. This is what Patrick was telling me when I got the steering links a while ago. I don't have a copy of the e-mail anymore, but it was somethign along the lines of that the Lemforder item was the same as the TRW item. The Lemforder one was around us$30 more.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast