GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: displays no fault code - but fault exists

Default displays no fault code - but fault exists

Hey guys

First off, im sorry for starting yet another thread on the topic, but i feel bad hijacking another persons thread, taking it into different direction and them not receiving help they are waiting for.

I did the stomp test on my 535i 89, the check engine light did what it was supposed to do, and i received the 1444 - no fault code. However my idle varies slightly in the cold start then stabilises itself after few seconds of varying. I thought after i got the check engine light to work id finally get the code and see whats wrong with the varying idle. Now with "no fault" im back to square one. Not a major problem (ive had lot worse) but it bugs me .

Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by romus
    Hey guys

First off, im sorry for starting yet another thread on the topic, but i feel bad hijacking another persons thread, taking it into different direction and them not receiving help they are waiting for.

I did the stomp test on my 535i 89, the check engine light did what it was supposed to do, and i received the 1444 - no fault code. However my idle varies slightly in the cold start then stabilises itself after few seconds of varying. I thought after i got the check engine light to work id finally get the code and see whats wrong with the varying idle. Now with "no fault" im back to square one. Not a major problem (ive had lot worse) but it bugs me .

Anyone have any suggestions?
    There's probably not a measurable fault.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

A code is only set with the check engine light ON; that's the indication that the DME has a little secret to tell you (actually the instrument cluster, but...)

There are plenty of reasons why it wouldn't idle correctly when cold, from idle control to fuel pressure.

best, whit

oh damn. Thats right.

It's just i never had a bulb in there until yesterday and then i thought id finally find out why the idle wasn't as it should be.

thanks, guys

Oh, well that makes sense. The thing is -- if the error is persistent, the light will stay on because the computer still reads the fault. Maybe that's why the E38s need an on/off cycle before the CE light will even turn on?! who knows.

Have you cleared all of the adaptations? The "shogun reset" may solve your problem. I actually found a reference to the procedure (using a jumpered fuse) in TIS earlier today -- It seems even the engineers who wrote the document (in like....'95?) read this forum

best, whit

No my light didnt come on at all...

See today i searched around for that reset method with a wire i found some info but im not sure if its correct, wouldnt wanna screw something up...push the key to position 2 and connect 7 and 19?? for whatever many seconds to reset oil service and whatever many more to reset inspection...

Is this how you've done? Mind walking me through?

Thanks man

If you are not sure or your hands are shaking when connecting the pins (and maybe damaging something), I would go the way with a PEAKE tools, which also reads coses and deletes them as well is good for oil and inspection service reset.
    There is no way that you can insert the tool the wrong way, because the round plug has a kind of 'nose' so that it only fits the right way.
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15283