GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Broken Glovebox

Default Broken Glovebox

The glovebox just broke on me today - It just wouldnt open, no matter what. - I tried unlocking it, locking it, opening it with a key.. nothing - something broke in it today.. (Something with that BMW and its locks breaking on me that just gets to me)

Well, anyway - the glovebox is dead locked, i was able to pll hard on it and pull a few things out but other than that it was no luck at all. Is there a secret way to do it? or something??? Im really lost at this point..

PS - if anyone has got a drivers door lock latch, that would come really handy right about now... please send me a PM ... please?

-Artem

I seem to remember a post where someone had changed their microfilter without taking the locked glovebox out, but simply by undoing the rear hinges or similar and lowering it down ... I searched for this, but didn't spot it .. anyone else recall this ?
    maybe it will help - maybe not
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    The glovebox just broke on me today - It just wouldnt open, no matter what. - I tried unlocking it, locking it, opening it with a key.. nothing - something broke in it today.. (Something with that BMW and its locks breaking on me that just gets to me)

Well, anyway - the glovebox is dead locked, i was able to pll hard on it and pull a few things out but other than that it was no luck at all. Is there a secret way to do it? or something??? Im really lost at this point..

PS - if anyone has got a drivers door lock latch, that would come really handy right about now... please send me a PM ... please?

-Artem
    Do a search: Broken Glovebox. I know it's been discussed several times before.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Don't pull on it too hard -- the support frame can bend and then it won't fit correctly. There are a few ways to open a locked glove box. One method is to unclip the two locking latches at the end closest to the firewall and use a long flathead screwdriver to manually depress the switch mechanism from the side of the box (the "Brett Anderson" method). The other, perhaps more destructive, way is to pull of the handle and manipulate the "J L" shaped hooks (press outwards, not inwards as would be logical). I'm not sure that the handle can be saved via this method, but they're cheap to come by on ebay, and the key coding ring can be exchanged into a new/used working handle.

best, whit

Thank you, will fix it tomorrow morning as soon as i wake up

Im not in love with my car yet to run out and fix it at 11PM haha

I did fix my Mile per gallon gauge... took apart the entore ODB and Cleaned some chipping paint off the gauge faceplate (apparently that can cause it to malfunction) but I had to take off the RPM pointer off the tach to get to the paint... and after i put iit on (tried doing that as accurate as possible) its about 50-100 RPM lower than the actual engine RPM. Does anyong know a way to reprogram the tachometer?/Can I just pull an entire assembly from an E28? would it be compatible? --> I got a ton of E28s around that I can take parts off of for real cheap.

-Artem
    Last edited by ArtemLepilov; 10-19-2005 at 10:10 PM.

From Bruno's site:

Unable to open the glove box Solution (procedure from Dhanraj R.)
    Slide under the glove box and you will find two snap latches connecting the back of the glove box to a metal rod (horizontal). Unsnap these two latches and the entire glove box will now be able to move forward by about 1/2".
    This will allow you some space to access and manipulate the latch from the top right edge of the box. Use a long, thin flat blade and depress the latch. (I had to look at a new replacement piece to understand what part of the latch to depress).
    With the glove box open, you will need to replace the latch. You will not need to replace the lock.

All set :-)

Now I just need a latch for the glovebox now... besides the driver's door

-Artem

how do you know that the rpms were off from what the tach said? Am I following this?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    how do you know that the rpms were off from what the tach said? Am I following this?

Oh I know they have to be off since I took the pointer off and remounted it at approximately where it was supposed to be... but there is no way I could have gotten it right

-Artem