GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 90 e34 524td

Default 90 e34 524td

dashboard not working correctly.
    after hitting a car, tachometer and economizer stopped working completely.
    what is the problem? batteries in dashboard are OK.
    maybe speed sensor ir rear reductor? broken dashboard?

If you got hit in the rear check the wire to the speed sensor in the differential.

If you think it's the instrument cluster, you can order one off ebay for ~$75. However, you need to make sure you only buy one with the same color back and if you want your mileage to be the same you should look for a cluster with the miles stated on the ebay auction; i.e., your new cluster will read out whatever mileage is stored on the coding chip.

Also, don't turn on your key with the cluster out of your car or you will trip your SRS light.

I had the same trouble with my car. Same symptoms, no chash though. After a long and excruciating period of trial and error I learned this. (Worked for me and another 524TD owner on this board.)

On the back of the instrument cluster there sits the coding plug. Remove cluster and take out the coding plug. Open the coding plug (if you're not used to working with electronics be careul - get help from an electrician) and you will fing a small print board with a chip on it.

I found 3 cold solderings on it, causing the tachometer (RPM) and Econometer to stop working. After resoldering all the legs on the chip it works.