GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Alcantara Stage 3 (LOL) : Rear Shelf

Default Alcantara Stage 3 (LOL) : Rear Shelf

Man was this harder than I expected! I pulled up the stock material and scrubbed the orange deteriorated **** away with a clean BBQ brush. Sprayed a mix of 3M Super 77 and Super 94 adhesives. I figured just flopt he pattern down on the board and stretch any wrinkles or high spots out. WRONG. The contours on the rear shelf are such that the alcantara doesn't stretch enough to hit the board below. So, I had to make foam molds to "take up" the valleys in the area at the 3rd brake light. Not noticeable to the untrained eye but a true E34 enthusiast will notice it molds into the rear shelf "broader" than stock. Oh well Worth it to me!

I also plastic dyed the rear seat belt trim... here's a pic from around 7PM. It looks so much nicer than that faded **** I had back there before. Also done are the C pillars (and A pillars, among a lot of other stuff). I deleted the rear lap belt holder, because that thing was culprit of weird fading to begin with. I don't even have a rear lap belt anyway (removed). Input welcomed!

(also, those arent imperfections in the material/install, its alcantara suede, so the dark spots are spots I or someone else has touched and moved the pile... just for those not sure)

VERY nice and very expensive... This car I believe is better than most new 5-series! ... Well maybe not the new V10 M5. Now about that fuel economy with the S/C

-Artem

Default Where do you get the material?

also, been wondering why you're homegrowing the supercharger rather than a downing atlanda or active autowerks solution..? i'm considering your route (looking into S/C) in a year or so.

Thanks, and oh yeah, looks real good.
    -Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Man was this harder than I expected! I pulled up the stock material and scrubbed the orange deteriorated **** away with a clean BBQ brush. Sprayed a mix of 3M Super 77 and Super 94 adhesives. I figured just flopt he pattern down on the board and stretch any wrinkles or high spots out. WRONG. The contours on the rear shelf are such that the alcantara doesn't stretch enough to hit the board below. So, I had to make foam molds to "take up" the valleys in the area at the 3rd brake light. Not noticeable to the untrained eye but a true E34 enthusiast will notice it molds into the rear shelf "broader" than stock. Oh well Worth it to me!

I also plastic dyed the rear seat belt trim... here's a pic from around 7PM. It looks so much nicer than that faded **** I had back there before. Also done are the C pillars (and A pillars, among a lot of other stuff). I deleted the rear lap belt holder, because that thing was culprit of weird fading to begin with. I don't even have a rear lap belt anyway (removed). Input welcomed!

(also, those arent imperfections in the material/install, its alcantara suede, so the dark spots are spots I or someone else has touched and moved the pile... just for those not sure)

I like it. Where did you obtain the fabric?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Because DowningAtlanta doesnt have an M50 kit let alone a kit for M50 E34... AA has M50 but again not E34... and they use a rotrex supercharger that you CANNOT increase boost on. Not to mention i got good deal on the ASA blower... and am going full standalone... which no kit offers support for. Not to mention AA Stg 1 is like 7500+

I bought 8 linear yards of fabric from my buddy who imported some for his friends VW. It's about $70 - $75/yard.

i hate you because youv done everthing to your car that i want to do to mine but dont have money for, and of corse not to be synical,but have you ever considered that if you took all the money you spent on your car, you could have a newer bimmer, or are you just a diehard e34 guy?

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    i hate you because youv done everthing to your car that i want to do to mine but dont have money for, and of corse not to be synical,but have you ever considered that if you took all the money you spent on your car, you could have a newer bimmer, or are you just a diehard e34 guy?
    Yeah I could have a 1999 540 6 speed... stock. Whats special about that? And then when I could afford to modify the E39, people would ask me why I spend the money I do on that.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    You Would have a newer BMW that will cost a lot more to maintain.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K

Very nice Jon!!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA